Removing adhesive caulk

Users who are viewing this thread

Mathdan

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to replace a toilet in my house. The problem is that the brain dead previous owner used what i think is adhesive caulk on the bottom of the old toilet. the part that I can see is clear and does not scrape off without a great deal of effort. I'm worried that even if I can scrape off what I can see, there will still be a bunch of it under the toilet where I can't get and thus I will have a bear of a time getting the toilet off. Any suggestions?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would use a razor knife to slice through it. If that doesn't get it, then a sharp, 5 in 1 glazier tool with some light taps from a hammer ought to get it.

Attachments

• Glazier Knife.jpg
    Glazier Knife.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 458

Mathdan

Reaction score
thanks
the razor knife and a bunch of time and effort worked. Probably took me about an hour to an hour and a half to get it loose then scrape off the remaining stuff from the floor. A second toilet not adhesived down took about 5 minutes.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You should caulk the bowl of the toilet to the floor.
I use PolySeamSeal, water based clear caulk.
Because it's not Silicone, it's easy to work with later.
CLEAR is nice, it disappears to the eye.

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Personaly I use nothing or just 2-3" of clear caulk at the front...9 time out of 10 if the wax fails it will show its self before ruining the floor...I have seen to many lino floors that the leak wicked / flowed between the layers of flooring before any one knew there was a leak due to the toilet being caulked. Wood floors will also stain black if the bowl is sealed...Just my NSHO.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
thanks
the razor knife and a bunch of time and effort worked. Probably took me about an hour to an hour and a half to get it loose then scrape off the remaining stuff from the floor. A second toilet not adhesived down took about 5 minutes.
Which is why it is tough to give anyone a fair answer when asked, "By the way, how long will this take¿"

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The caulk is to seal water from getting under the toilet. It is not needed to hold the toilet to the floor. If you don't have to shim, the caulking can be a very small bead. If there are shims, the bead has to be large enough to hide the shims. Silicon really will stick things like counter tops down. It seals too, but then it's a real PITA to remove.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks