Well Pump Wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
I have a submerged well pump that has only two wires connected. One is red and the other is black. This is a 220v setup, and there is no ground connection or a white wire from the pump for connection. I have found conflicting information as to the use of a ground wire application for well pumps.
My main concern is safety and I appreciate the importance of a ground in ALL electrical applications. Is this safe or do some well pumps have this type hookup?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
You open your post with a statement that you have a pump that has two wires and then ask the question is one make that only has two wires.

Seems to me you answered the question before you asked it.

Giles

Reaction score
You open your post with a statement that you have a pump that has two wires and then ask the question is one make that only has two wires.

Seems to me you answered the question before you asked it.[/QUOTE

As I stated-- I know the purpose of a ground wire. This particular setup is approximately 25 years old. I did not install the pump, I noticed this absence of grounding while repairing piping. I have no idea what previous owners of property have done. A lot of unqualified people will cut the ground wire even in their home (They don't need it). I posted this same question in another forum and was advised by some that the pump was hooked up wrong, and by others that some pump manufacturers design their pumps to operate safely without ground. One person stated that their new pump was of this design, stating that the submerged pump was under water and was grounded. I am not a certified electrician and I do not know the credibality of this statement. Many people will give electrical advice that is incorrect or not to code. The only metal present at pump location is the casing cover and a gavalnized 1" 90. The well casing is plastic pipe. I am asking a qualified electrician if I can make a ground connection to the pump cover and accomplish a suitable ground or do I need to pull the pump to see if there is a ground wire.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
First let me make this statement.
If you are there to do repairs on the plumbing then please don’t try to cross over into the electrical. If you have doubts as to the compliance of the electrical then simply call an electrician for help.
In some states you are required to have an electrical license in order to make even a grounding connection. In these states you could be treading on some liable grounds if you should decide to ask a bunch of questions on a DIY web site for information on something you have no idea about.

A lot of 120/240 volt submersible pumps will not have an equipment grounding conductor simply due to the fact that no one will be climbing down in a well to touch a submersible pump, then again we just don’t know about these things as I am sure the world is full of people that are not but 6†around.

Should this submersible pump be installed with metal piping down the well then there might be some danger of the pipe becoming energized and something there would need some sort of bonding but I haven’t seen any pumps that were installed with metal pipe. Most of what I have seen was installed with some sort of black nonmetallic pipe that wouldn’t conduct current therefore no need to ground something that no one could touch even if they were only six inches in diameter.

Concerning the well cap and the galvanized nipple chase I think you have answered your own question again in your opening statement, “As I stated-- I know the purpose of a ground wire.†If you truly know the purpose of the ground wire then why ask?

Speedbump

Reaction score
Submersible pumps that had two wire or three wire motors didn't have a ground wire until the National Electrical Code was changed back in the 90's I believe. Then the green wire was added to all submersible pump motors regardless of whether they were three or two wire motors. Since only two wires were needed to make a 230 volt connection and make a motor run, the third (or fourth in a three wire motor) wire wasn't needed to make the motor run. Now that wire since being added by the NEC is seen on all pump motors.

Since your pump is that old, I wouldn't worry about adding the third wire. The pump will probably be dying of old age soon anyway. And there were a whole bunch of sub motors out there without that green wire that didn't hurt anybody.

bob...

Giles

Reaction score
Submersible pumps that had two wire or three wire motors didn't have a ground wire until the National Electrical Code was changed back in the 90's I believe. Then the green wire was added to all submersible pump motors regardless of whether they were three or two wire motors. Since only two wires were needed to make a 230 volt connection and make a motor run, the third (or fourth in a three wire motor) wire wasn't needed to make the motor run. Now that wire since being added by the NEC is seen on all pump motors.

Since your pump is that old, I wouldn't worry about adding the third wire. The pump will probably be dying of old age soon anyway. And there were a whole bunch of sub motors out there without that green wire that didn't hurt anybody.

bob...

speedbump---you are evidently the professional I needed an answer from. Excellent explination! THANKS

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks