Symmons Temptrol Model A Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

pconroy

Reaction score
I recently installed an electric tankless water heater. My shower has the Symmons Temptrol Model A Shower Valve. I cannot get the shower temperature high enough. How do I fix this?
The hot water at sinks is almost steam. The instructions say to set the level of heating at the heater for the shower but the valve wont let the temperature go to the limit. I adjusted it to the highest temperature using the set screw.

index.php

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
pressure balanced valve

you are probably going to have trouble with
that faucet because the tankless water heater has
sort of lowered the pressure or the volume on
the hot side of your system........

those tankless units can be a pain in the ///

I am sure you will get some advice form others here

I have heard of installing a thermal expansion tank on the
hot side of the system to keep the volume up

also changeing out the faucet to a non pressure balanced one
might also be a way to resolve the problem.

good luck --have fun

pconroy

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I changed out the shower head to an Oxygenics handheld which reduced the flow. This seems to have solved the problem. We still have some problems with cycling when we reduce the temperature and I am adjusting the output temperature on the tankless unit to see if this helps. Since tankless is a new thing I would appreciate comments from anyone else who has experience with these systems.

We love the system because never runs out of hot water, it saves money for electricity and there is no tank to take up space in our small condo. We also eliminate the disk of a flood from a leaking tank which is a consideration in a below grade garden condo with electric radiant heat in the tile floor.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Tankless water heater seem to have a problem with temp. controlled or pressure balanced showers. The manufacturers say it is OK but the two things seem to be at cross purposes. This question is asked frequently, and I don't know if a definitive answer has ever been posted.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks