PB Yard Service Repair ?

Users who are viewing this thread

theestimator1

Reaction score
I will probably have to replace a leaking section of 3/4†Underground Polybutylene in a 150ft long Yard Service. I was thinking about using 3/4†PEX and Qest compression fittings because it’s easy (I am in the electrical trade, not plumbing). I worry about copper deteriorating underground. Is buried PEX and Qest fittings advisable or should I use something else? Thanks, Marty

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There have been some questions about Quest. You'd want to use a larger pipe than that if you used pex since the walls are fairly thick.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I question repairing a polybutylene line...
When they go bad it is generally better to replace them.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pb

Qest PB and PEX have the same i.d.'s, but if you join them with a PEX coupling, you have to use a pb crimp ring. But once it cracks there is a good chance it will happen again.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
If it's outside and underground, why not just use PVC pipe and replace the whole length?

theestimator1

Reaction score
Redwood made a good point. After a little reading, it sounds like the polybutylene problem will only get worse, and continue forever. Jimbo made a good point. I didn’t realize buried copper would outlast me.
Now I’m thinking, eventually, 1†Type K copper w/ sweat fittings all the way. As a temporary fix, metal insert fittings & crimp rings could connect the old polybutylene to the new copper.
Does this make sense?
What material is used for a new 150ft residential Yard Service?
Your advice is extremely helpful, especially to an electrical person. Thank you to everyone.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
No sweat connections underground.

3/4" @ 150' would be plenty

K is the best application, you could get it in one piece, problem solved with the connection underground, with K you can make a flared connection to the meter bracket outlet.

95% of all calls that come through my shop in relation to water service failures,

are plastic piping.

I can't make that up....it's just the statistic. The pipe is constantly expanding/contracting no matter what type it is.

theestimator1

Reaction score
Thanks Rugged,

Unspliced type K copper does seem like the most durable and reliable material for Yard Service, although I do have one concern, pinholes.

theestimator1
Master Electrician
Maryland

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks