(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: PB Yard Service Repair ?

Default PB Yard Service Repair ?

I will probably have to replace a leaking section of 3/4 Underground Polybutylene in a 150ft long Yard Service. I was thinking about using 3/4 PEX and Qest compression fittings because its easy (I am in the electrical trade, not plumbing). I worry about copper deteriorating underground. Is buried PEX and Qest fittings advisable or should I use something else? Thanks, Marty

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

There have been some questions about Quest. You'd want to use a larger pipe than that if you used pex since the walls are fairly thick.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by theestimator1 View Post
    I worry about copper deteriorating underground.

You mean in around 100 years??

I question repairing a polybutylene line...
    When they go bad it is generally better to replace them.

Default Pb

Qest PB and PEX have the same i.d.'s, but if you join them with a PEX coupling, you have to use a pb crimp ring. But once it cracks there is a good chance it will happen again.

If it's outside and underground, why not just use PVC pipe and replace the whole length?

Redwood made a good point. After a little reading, it sounds like the polybutylene problem will only get worse, and continue forever. Jimbo made a good point. I didnt realize buried copper would outlast me.
    Now Im thinking, eventually, 1 Type K copper w/ sweat fittings all the way. As a temporary fix, metal insert fittings & crimp rings could connect the old polybutylene to the new copper.
    Does this make sense?
    What material is used for a new 150ft residential Yard Service?
    Your advice is extremely helpful, especially to an electrical person. Thank you to everyone.

Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area

No sweat connections underground.

3/4" @ 150' would be plenty

K is the best application, you could get it in one piece, problem solved with the connection underground, with K you can make a flared connection to the meter bracket outlet.

95% of all calls that come through my shop in relation to water service failures,

are plastic piping.

I can't make that up....it's just the statistic. The pipe is constantly expanding/contracting no matter what type it is.
    Read what the end of this sentence means.

Thanks Rugged,

Unspliced type K copper does seem like the most durable and reliable material for Yard Service, although I do have one concern, pinholes.

theestimator1
    Master Electrician
    Maryland