(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Watts or Viega Tool?

Default Watts or Viega Tool?

Hello everyone,

I've been researching the various types of Pex fastening systems and have narrowed my choice to either the Watts system with copper crimp ring or the Viega with the stainless steel press sleeve. The only thing holding me back from the Viega is the cost of the complete tool kit...$1300 or so. From the research I've done it appears that the multi-head Watts crimp tool may be able to accomplish the Viega press fitting. If you look at Pexsupply.com, Watts doesn't offer a 1" adapter head in their own line but offers the Viega 1" tool for their crimp ring. Does anyone have any experience using the Watts or Pexcaliber tools with Viega sleeves and vice versa. Any help would be appreciated.

Adam

Dump both and go wirsbo. Watts is crap, viega is crap. both will be on the short end of class action lawsuits in the near future. The fittings are restrictive and don't meet anybody's code.

Quote Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
    Dump both and go wirsbo. Watts is crap, viega is crap. both will be on the short end of class action lawsuits in the near future. The fittings are restrictive and don't meet anybody's code.
    Interesting comment though its accuracy may be debatable.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment 99k's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nhmaster View Post
    Please explain why wirsbo isn't restrictive also? I watched the video and clearly see a fitting is pressed into the ID of the PEX ... so what's the difference.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The Wirsbo fitting won't fit into the pipe as delivered...the tool stretches the pipe so it is large enough to allow the fitting to fit inside, then it collapses back to the normal size locking it in place (well, not quite since it is now fitting over the fitting that wouldn't fit in the pipe in the first place). The system relies on the shape retention characteristics of the plastic pex material. They use a reinforcement collar that is stretched at the same time.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment 99k's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    The Wirsbo fitting won't fit into the pipe as delivered...the tool stretches the pipe so it is large enough to allow the fitting to fit inside, then it collapses back to the normal size locking it in place (well, not quite since it is now fitting over the fitting that wouldn't fit in the pipe in the first place). The system relies on the shape retention characteristics of the plastic pex material. They use a reinforcement collar that is stretched at the same time.
    Please attachment. The ID on this coupling is smaller than the pipe ID ... same issue as all the other manufacturers fittings regarding a reduction in the ID ... I'm looking at a 3/4 coupling and the OD of the fitting is 3/4".
    http://www.uponor-usa.com/~/media/Fi...spx?sc_lang=en

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Well, since the ID of 3/4" OD pipe is smaller than 3/4", compare the ID of the fitting with the ID of the pipe.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014