partially blocked hot water to shower

Users who are viewing this thread

peltaz

Reaction score
I recently completed a small plumbing repair that required the opening and closing of a seldom used hot water shutoff several times. Recently the hot water pressure to a shower on that line suddenly decreased to less than half. The other fixtures on the same branch have not had any reduction in pressure. My best guess is that part of the shutoff washer has broken loose. It is a pretty old shutoff. Now the hard question. How do I locate it and get it out. Thanks.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would unscrew the showerhead from the showerarm and check the restrictor for debris plugging it up.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

The new shower valve should be pressure balanced, and you probably have something which has caused it to stick at the cold water side. Sometimes you can remove it and tap it on the floor to free it up. What make and model valve.

peltaz

Reaction score
Actually, the shower is in another part of the house and is not new. The flow to the hot water just suddenly decreased. I removed the showerhead when I first noticed it and the hot water still runs as a trickle. The valve is a kohler shower valve. No tub. The cold water runs great. The flow slows to a trickle when the valve is moved to full hot. Again, nothing else on that particular branch has had the hot water flow affected. That is the kitchen sink and a bathroom sink.

peltaz

Reaction score
MFG Brand Name : KOHLER
MFG Model # : K-T15613-4-BN
MFG Part # : T15613-4-BN

This is not exactly it but extremely close. It came from Home Depot as a shower mixing valve and showerhead kit. Thank you for your help.

peltaz

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It worked like a champ. Also, thanks for your patience as I now see that you have already answered the same question several hundred times.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It worked like a champ. Also, thanks for your patience as I now see that you have already answered the same question several hundred times.

On this and other forums!:D
Glad you were able to fix it!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks