Shower Plumbing Question

Users who are viewing this thread

az1324

Reaction score
I'm replacing a tub with a shower and plumbing the drain. I am removing the reducing tee and using a 2" drain instead of the 1.5". The drain, however is situated directly above a joist and there isn't room to place the p trap in that spot. The joist has already been notched, and I do not wish to notch it any further to avoid completely compromising its integrity.

So can I just elbow over and up from the p trap using 2 90 deg fittings? Just want to confirm that this is ok for proper drainage.

Edit: Ok that's not really helpful as an elbow takes up just as much room vertically as a p-trap. What I'm gonna do is 22 up from the tee and 22 back to horizontal then the p trap will be raised above the joist and be just low enough to make the connection. Sorry for wasting a thread. Delete if desired.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks