(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Shower Plumbing Question

  1. #1

    Default Shower Plumbing Question

    I'm replacing a tub with a shower and plumbing the drain. I am removing the reducing tee and using a 2" drain instead of the 1.5". The drain, however is situated directly above a joist and there isn't room to place the p trap in that spot. The joist has already been notched, and I do not wish to notch it any further to avoid completely compromising its integrity.

    So can I just elbow over and up from the p trap using 2 90 deg fittings? Just want to confirm that this is ok for proper drainage.

    Edit: Ok that's not really helpful as an elbow takes up just as much room vertically as a p-trap. What I'm gonna do is 22 up from the tee and 22 back to horizontal then the p trap will be raised above the joist and be just low enough to make the connection. Sorry for wasting a thread. Delete if desired.
    Last edited by az1324; 11-18-2008 at 07:24 PM.

  2. #2
    Master Plumber Redwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007


    Yes, you can offset the drain to the trap as you indicate.

  3. #3
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

    Default drain

    A 45 and a street 45 might be better.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts