Need help with tub drain please

Users who are viewing this thread

annette35

Reaction score
Hi, I am not good at any type of repair like this, but if I could have someone tell me step by step I could do a great job...just know it, and thank you.:)

Okay, I have just a regular old fiberglass bone colored tub, nothing fancy at all. The part of the drain that I push down to keep the water in the tub broke so I sent my teenage son to purchase a new one and it worked great.

However, should have known it couldn't stay perfect for long....now, the part of the drain beneath that push up/pop up piece broke. The new pop up piece was screwed in but the metal trap pieces it screws to must be old because it broke right off. Just for clarification, because I most likely confused you....the round silver circle part of the drain in the bath tub.....can that alone be replaced? If so how do I get it out of there and is it pretty much a standard size if it can even be replaced at all? Thank you very very much.

Annette

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Annette,
Can you post a picture of the part?
There are only a few different threads on those.
You should either be able to find a replacement, or if not, you may be looking at changing out the tub "waste and overflow" drain completely.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

IF the silver thing unscrews easily, and that could be a problem, then replacment is easy. IF not you could create a major remodeling job if the undertub pipe crackes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks