Freeze Problems Bladder Tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

epoxybreath

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I have a cabin in the West Virginia mountains.We sometimes have a week or two with temps in the teens and twentys, nothing too cold, but cold enough to do damage in an unheated house. It has a shallow well with a jet pump in a crawl space under the house. I always drain the system when I leave in the wintertime and have had no problems with it for some time. This lack of problems of course comes after a multitude of hard learned lessons, 1AM pipe thawing followed by sweating copper at 2:30, cracked pump casings, etc. Anyway I have just replaced my old galvanized pressure tank with a bladder type. My question is: when I drain my system ( pressure tank is at low point) will all the water drain out of the tank? More importantly will the bladder in the tank have problems if it becomes frozen.

Thanks for your expertise. Enjoy, Bruce

smokinjoe

Reaction score
I am in the Hills of S.D.to be on the safe side i installed a heat tape around the lower half of my tank even though it is drained.. The tape has a built in thermostat which turns on the tape at 38 degrees..Hope this gives u some peace of mind....

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
I don't golf but I went with my Dad once when I was 17, in 1959. I don't think I hit any trees but, were you there? ;) I'm thinking you're thinking you know me but there are 4-5 of us in NE PA. I'm the good looking one. Or am I forgetting something?

Yeah, as soon as I saw the name and the cell phone with a PA area code I immediately ass-u-me d it was the father of the Gary father son combination.

The older Gary owns a HVAC company so I thought it was you and retired with an RV. I did not think it was the son who is about 40 now.

My mistake Mr. Slusser.

Nevermind!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks