new tub and shower faucet rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

ditchdoc

Reaction score
Installing new tub-tile-shower-faucets and am wondering if there is any built in leeway. What i mean is that the installation directions show "finished wall" Does this mean with tile, or can I rough-in to the backerboard? I'm just wondering if I need to figure in the thickness of my tile or is there usually some fudge-factor built in to the design? Sorry if this is a dumb question. My faucet set is an American Standard single-handle design. Any hints would be appreciated.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
There is a fudge factor built in but it must be installed within that factor.
See the instructions for your valve the dimension will be listed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The rough-in valve MUST be installed so that the FINISHED wall will be within the min/max marks - that means the tile installation. I prefer it to be recessed most of the way. SOme people don't like it sticking so far out if at that end of the range. Too far in, and you won't be able to attach the trim. Too far out and the trim won't snug up to the finished wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trim

The leeway is the maximum/minimum lines on the plaster ground. If the finished tile is not between those lines you run the risk of sticking out too far and being out of luck, or needing an extension and hoping the manufacturer makes one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks