Extender or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I am installing ceramic tile in my bathroom which will make the toilet flange about level with the top of the tile or a little below. The house is built on a slab.

It looks like an extender would be the easiest way to bring the flange up to the proper height. But how do I secure the flange extender? I can't really secure it to the concrete because I can't put anchors under the flange.

It seems if the toilet bolts were fastened to the bottom original flange and then extended up through the extender everything would be held tight.

Is an extender the way to go or am I asking for trouble?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
An extender will work. Depends on the version...some have gaskets, some you silicon, but all need to be anchored. A concrete carbide bit whould allow you to make holes and screw it down.

Rsmith99

Reaction score
Raising flange height

If I choose to raise the flange height I am puzzled how to fill around the pipe after the new flange is set.

OK, I break out around the existing flange, remove the old flange, glue on the new flange. How do I put cement under the new flange and make the cement level with the slab AND leave a gap for the new tile?

Please help!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Ideally, the flange would be installed on top of the finished floor. Since the pipe is not long enough, if you had access below, you could cut it off and then install a new piece. Depending on whether it is 3" or 4", you could use an outside or inside flange. When you do this, if it is a 3" pipe, you need to leave enough room around the riser so you can slide the new flange over it. It's a good idea to do that with a 4" pipe, too, but you can use an internal flange with a 4", but it's still better to install it on the outside. An inside pipe cutter could cut off the existing riser and a Rambit could cut out the riser from the elbow below, then you could insert new from there. Sometimes, paying a pro is worth the effort.

When setting tile, it's easier to notch the tile so you don't have to drill holes through it to mount the new flange. Depending on the tile, some wil require a diamond bit to drill a hole - depends on how hard it is.

So, basically, tile things, THEN install the new flange, when possible. you have to do your prep work to get the pipe high enough and leave the space to still install the flange.

If you choose to use a flange extender, follow the instructions and use one (or more) that will bring it to the same height as if you'd installed a new flange on top of the floor. This means it will stick above the floor about 1/4" or so. Make sure to use the holes to anchor it properly and if it doesn't have gaskets, silicon to seal the layers together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks