Questions - Carlyle vs Carolina? Water Supply? CEFIONTECT sticker?

Users who are viewing this thread

idesign123

Reaction score
Carlyle vs Carolina? Water Supply? CEFIONTECT sticker?

We need to replace 3 toilets in our home, and have it narrowed down to the 'Carlyle' (skirted Ultramax) and 'Carolina' (skirted Supreme). The only questions we have left are...

1) Which model?
I slightly favor the look of the Carolina, but I'm assuming the Carlyle would be a better bet (since it has the 'GMax' flushing system). I'd be ok with either one. Thoughts?

2) Water supply adapter?
Our water supply rough-in is only 5", but the spec sheet says it requires an 8" rough-in. One option would be to move the water supply, and normally my husband would do just that since he's good with drywall. But the idiots who installed the water supply had it cut into the baseboards, so moving the water supply would require that we also install new baseboards. Is there some sort of 'adapter' we can buy instead that would move the water supply just enough?

3) CEFIONTECT Sticker removable?
Ok, this is the silly one. We're favoriting the 'CEFIONTECT' model, but don't want any kind of sticker on the toilet (we like the 'minimalist' look). Is the CEFIONTECT sticker removable?

Thanks so much for the wonderful forum!

:Stacey

abak_carlyle.jpg

TOTO MS874114SG Carlyle

skirted-toilet-terrylove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As you can see from the spec sheet line drawings, the toilet curves, and the skirt flares out towards the base. So, you have to look carefully, and then see if the location of the shutoff will work or not. http://totousa.com/admin/upload/pdfspc/s-ms874114sg-0308.pdf The lower it is towards the floor, the wider it needs to be.

My guess is the CEFIONTECT logo is glued on, but I'm not about to try to remove mine! I have a Carlyle in the master bath and a Vespin in the powder room. Both have been operating well. I don't notice the label at all.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The CEFIONTECT sticker will peel right off.

The Carolina and the Carlyle need 7" from center to center on the shutoff.
If you move the pipe outside the wall you may need to use a 10" Unifit with it since the shutoff is at the baseboard level.
Normally with a 12" rough, you would have just enough room for a copper 90 sweated on.
5" would even be tight on the Soiree, which needs 5-1/2" from center to center,

Either toilet flushes pretty well. The Carlyle has the taller tank, so it will have a little more kick on the flush.

If you go with the the CEFIONTECT Ultramax, it would drop right in.

flange_03.jpg

This is a Unift adapter for models like the Vespin, Carlyle, Carrollton, Soiree, Guinevere

cst474_side.jpg

Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
This bowl was installed on a 13-1/2" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.
The water shutoff can be as close as 5-1/2" to the left of center, unless it's higher off the floor, and then it can be even closer to center.
This shutoff had been replaced with a new 1/4 turn valve with brass nipple through the wall.
Installation was by James Love of Love Plumbing & Remodel 206-949-5683
In some of the older Seattle homes, the old toilets had been wall mounted tank toilets.
Those typically are 14" rough-in and need a flange repair to use standard closet bolt connections at the flange.
Everything is on the truck for that.
The Vespin comes with a standard 12" adapter or you can order a 10" or 14" adapter depending on your rough-in distance.

Last edited:

idesign123

Reaction score
Thanks Terry :)

We were originally going to go with the Ultramax or Supreme, but found out we needed to switch to a skirted because we have a 10" rough-in on one of the toilets (i.e., we need to select a toilet compatible with the Unifit adapter).

In other words, we switched to the 'skirted' version to fix the first problem (10" rough-in), but this caused the water supply problem. Since it sounds like the water supply problem is easier to fix, we'll just go with the Carlyle (+unifit) option and move the water supply.

Thanks also for the CEFIONTECT sticker info.
I'll go ahead and get the CEFIONTECT finish.

Best wishes,

:Stacey

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks