(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Questions - Carlyle vs Carolina? Water Supply? Sanagloss sticker?

  1. #1

    Default Carlyle vs Carolina? Water Supply? Sanagloss sticker?

    We need to replace 3 toilets in our home, and have it narrowed down to the 'Carlyle' (skirted Ultramax) and 'Carolina' (skirted Supreme). The only questions we have left are...

    1) Which model?
    I slightly favor the look of the Carolina, but I'm assuming the Carlyle would be a better bet (since it has the 'GMax' flushing system). I'd be ok with either one. Thoughts?

    2) Water supply adapter?
    Our water supply rough-in is only 5", but the spec sheet says it requires an 8" rough-in. One option would be to move the water supply, and normally my husband would do just that since he's good with drywall. But the idiots who installed the water supply had it cut into the baseboards, so moving the water supply would require that we also install new baseboards. Is there some sort of 'adapter' we can buy instead that would move the water supply just enough?

    3) Sanagloss Sticker removable?
    Ok, this is the silly one. We're favoriting the 'Sanagloss' model, but don't want any kind of sticker on the toilet (we like the 'minimalist' look). Is the Sanagloss sticker removable?

    Thanks so much for the wonderful forum!


    TOTO MS874114SG Carlyle
    Last edited by Terry; 03-21-2009 at 12:31 PM.

  2. #2
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    New England


    As you can see from the spec sheet line drawings, the toilet curves, and the skirt flares out towards the base. So, you have to look carefully, and then see if the location of the shutoff will work or not. http://totousa.com/admin/upload/pdfs...114sg-0308.pdf The lower it is towards the floor, the wider it needs to be.

    My guess is the Sanagloss logo is glued on, but I'm not about to try to remove mine! I have a Carlyle in the master bath and a Vespin in the powder room. Both have been operating well. I don't notice the label at all.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  3. #3
    Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Bothell, Washington
    Blog Entries


    The Sanagloss sticker will peel right off.

    The Carolina and the Carlyle need 7" from center to center on the shutoff.
    If you move the pipe outside the wall you may need to use a 10" Unifit with it since the shutoff is at the baseboard level.
    Normally with a 12" rough, you would have just enough room for a copper 90 sweated on.
    5" would even be tight on the Soiree, which needs 5-1/2" from center to center,

    Either toilet flushes pretty well. The Carlyle has the taller tank, so it will have a little more kick on the flush.

    If you go with the the Sanagloss Ultramax, it would drop right in.

    This is a Unift adapter for models like the Vespin, Carlyle, Carrollton, Soiree, Guinevere

    Toto Vespin II CST474CEFG with SS114 Softclose seat.
    This bowl was installed on a 13-1/2" rough-in using the 14" Unifit adapter.
    The water shutoff can be as close as 5-1/2" to the left of center, unless it's higher off the floor, and then it can be even closer to center.
    This shutoff had been replaced with a new 1/4 turn valve with brass nipple through the wall.
    Installation was by James Love of Love Plumbing & Remodel 206-949-5683
    In some of the older Seattle homes, the old toilets had been wall mounted tank toilets.
    Those typically are 14" rough-in and need a flange repair to use standard closet bolt connections at the flange.
    Everything is on the truck for that.
    The Vespin comes with a standard 12" adapter or you can order a 10" or 14" adapter depending on your rough-in distance.
    Last edited by Terry; 04-10-2010 at 05:09 AM.

  4. #4


    Thanks Terry

    We were originally going to go with the Ultramax or Supreme, but found out we needed to switch to a skirted because we have a 10" rough-in on one of the toilets (i.e., we need to select a toilet compatible with the Unifit adapter).

    In other words, we switched to the 'skirted' version to fix the first problem (10" rough-in), but this caused the water supply problem. Since it sounds like the water supply problem is easier to fix, we'll just go with the Carlyle (+unifit) option and move the water supply.

    Thanks also for the Sanagloss sticker info.
    I'll go ahead and get the Sanagloss finish.

    Best wishes,

    Last edited by Terry; 11-23-2008 at 08:32 AM.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts