Another Delta drain install question

Users who are viewing this thread

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
About to finalize the install of my Delta tub drain. REALLY disappointed in the lack of good instructions, but I suppose the products could just be meant for a plumber to install instead of a homeowner.

Anyway, Im at the point where I need to determine the linkage length for the plunger. Following the cryptic instructions, it seems the linkage is too long........it definitely seals the drain when in the down position, but when in the up position it only creates a small opening for water to drain out. Im thinking the opening should be bigger, and I would assume the linkage needs to be shorter to do this. However, I already have it hooked at the highest it can go on the adjustable clevis.

Does the first part of the linkage need to be shortened by cutting? Im not sure how a plumber would do it, or maybe its just fine and shouldnt be changed (rather, how big should the opening be when the plunger is opened?)

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Construct30

Reaction score
I like the lift and turn or toe trip style tub drains, less to adjust and nothing to get gummed up and cause problems later that you can't see or get to.

Usually they adjust as much as you need it to. What is the delta model number and what kind of tub? It should unplug about 3/4 of the pipe or more. It won't allow full flow, which is why I like the lift and turn type. deltafaucet.com might have more info.

Last edited:

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Delta Rp691 drain on an Americast Princeton tub.

Deltas website has great support for every product BUT DRAINS. Very little info about them, basically just parts lists.

The drain itself has a range of height, I just wasnt sure if you need to remove one of the linkage lengths depending on how high your drain needs to be.

It definitely opens and closes, but definitely not 3/4 of the pipe diameter. From feel Im guessing maybe about 1/4" or so. And I think if I lift the linkage higher on the clevis, it will hit the top of the drain pipe when using the trip lever.

And yeah, Im thinking toe trip might have been a better idea at this point!! Too late now though.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

there has never been a drain that opened 3/4 of the pipe diameter. You lengthen the linkage to raise the plug, BUT, you have to have the plug screwed on the proper distance or the linkage will bottom out before the plug is raised sufficiently. There are no directions as to how to do it properly. It is a trial and error process.

Construct30

Reaction score
The watts ones open better than half so in my book close to 3/4. If you lengthen the linkage it makes the plug drop. Unless I miss unstand what you are saying. Longer is dropping the plug, shorter is raising the plug. What did I miss?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks