Radiant heat question.

Users who are viewing this thread

monz78

Reaction score
I have a radiant heat system in my 27x30 shop. Due to the high costs of Propane in this area I don't want to turn the system on this year. I'm also not in the shop everyday so I really don't need it right now. I installed an electric heater to just heat the shop when I use it.
Now my question is it only has water in the lines. I need to flush that out and replace it with antifreeze so it doesn't freeze. It gets real cold here in NY.
How would I go about flushing out the water and putting in the antifreeze?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
you need a pump and some anti freeze along with wome knowledge as to where the shutoffs are and the purge valves.

monz78

Reaction score
I know where all that stuff is. I need to know how to pump out the water. Theres only one valve that was installed to fill it. It's a closed loop system so it only has one.

monz78

Reaction score
So what would I do pump in the antifreeze and let the water come out of? The purge valve? Thats the only other stop that could be opened up to let it out.

monz78

Reaction score
OK thanks for the help. One last question. How much antifreeze would I need to flush out the system? As I said before it is a 27x30 shop.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the systems want something like a 50-50 mix. you normally wouldn't want more than that...check the instructions.

monz78

Reaction score
I know how the antifreeze works. I wanted to know how much I should buy.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You have to do a bit of calculating for length of run and diameter of pipe. You remember, volume of a cylinder?

monz78

Reaction score
This could be though then. I know we used 1/2 pex. We also used a full roll. But I don't remember how many feet were on the roll.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
100, 300 or 500. Your best quess I quess. Me however, Id mix 2 gallons anti freeze with 2 gallons water and start with that.

monz78

Reaction score
Thank you sir, you have been a great help. I wasn't sure if it would hold 5 gallons of 20 gallons.
Is there a special kind of antifreeze for heating systems? Or any brand that works better?

Last edited:

monz78

Reaction score
I had an ideal I couldn't. I do not most aspects of the heating system. But I'm not an expert in any means.
Thanks for the help.

edlentz

Reaction score
Just a thought. Why not use a compressor and blow the lines out? Same technique as blowing out sprinkler systems for the winter? Saves all that calculation and antifreeze.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Just a thought. Why not use a compressor and blow the lines out? Same technique as blowing out sprinkler systems for the winter? Saves all that calculation and antifreeze.

You will never get it all out. some will stay in and puddle in the low spots.

monz78

Reaction score
I want to keep the lines full. That way if I need to do a project out there I can start it up a day before I need to use and and have heat.

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
You will never get it all out. some will stay in and puddle in the low spots.

But it's the easy way to figure the system's volume, close enough:

compressor hooked up to one valve, system draining into a barrell. When you get to only mist coming out, the volume of water in the barrell is a pretty good approximation of the system's volume.

Dump half, replace with antifreeze, pump back in.

Added bonus: the old water is already de-oxigenated, reduces corrosion compared to using new water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks