Backflow valve on water supply for cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

Cellomangler

Reaction score
I've got a small building with my main sewer drain line running underneath and the only clean out accessible is on this high side with the city main line on the opposite side of the building -about a 40 ft run. I'd like to install a permanent water line running into the cleanout plug so that I can turn a valve just inside the building and flush out my main drain line from time to time. There is a water line just inside the wall that currently feeds a toilet and it would be a piece of cake to put a valve there, maybe a stop and a shutoff, as well as a backflow valve, and run that line to the clean out plug. Closing one of those valves would let the water run out and a back flow valve would prevent the unlikely occurence that sewage would back up into that line - it would rise up through other drains first. Question is.. is it within code to do this... is it most likely safe enough even if not in code... and does anyone make a CPVC half inch stop valve that I could put in the line ? 'Tanks..........

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
backflow

The hazard is not from the sewer backing up into the water line, it is that the water line could siphon the sewage into your, and all your neighbor's, water line.

Cellomangler

Reaction score
OK, OK, OK... I'm not going to do it that way. But here's my workaround: Where the line would run just inside the wall I'm going to have a total disconnect and separation after my stop valves for the water line. Then I'll have a short hose such as a hot water tank line that I can use to connect up the flush line to the cleanout. I'll also keep the line coming up from the cleanout capped -or put a stop valve on it. I'll design it so that the hose keeps the cover (of the wall cubby space where the lines are exposed) from closing when it is attached so I won't inadvertently leave it hooked up. Now this is really no different than running a garden hose into the cleanout, wouldn't you think...? ..since there will not be a permanent connection.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Main lines do not need to be "flushed out occasionally". You are off track on this. If you want to flush the line, turn on the tub and let it run! Please do NOT try to get involved with connecting water supply to drain. Your inspector will have you for lunch.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flush

The key word in your description is "flush". Flushing a toilet a couple of times will do as much, or more, than your ill advised hose. What you are trying to do requires volume and velocity, things flushing the toilet gives, but not the hose.

Cellomangler

Reaction score
The key word in your description is "flush". Flushing a toilet a couple of times will do as much, or more, than your ill advised hose. What you are trying to do requires volume and velocity, things flushing the toilet gives, but not the hose.
Alrighty then... sure appreciate the honest feedback and additional literature. I won't bother with it. Saves me work and an extra hole in the wall, anyway. BTW, I guess when folks use those balloon things on their garden hoses and stick them way into the cleanout to purge their home system... well even that could be inviting problems...? Cheers.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds good to me.

Yes blow bags could be a crossover problem. They are also not a good way to clean a sewer line. Kind of a last resort!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
blowbags

Blowbags are used in an attempt to unplug a drain line, seldom to flush them. The water flowing through them is usually a very small volume, otherwise if they did not work, which is usually the case, you would flood the building.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks