(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basement backed up.. desperately need advice my wife is going to kill me

I have a suspicion that the laundry drains into the basement perimeter drain.
    Bingo

Since you don't know where it goes why not just connect your laundry waste into your plumbing waste pipe. Probably a lot cheaper than screwing around with cameras and everything else.
    http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/forum.php
    My answers are based mostly on the ICC codes. Advice given is my personal opinion and every person performing work should acquire a permit from his/her jurisdiction and get the work inspected. My opinions are not directions to follow for DIYs or professionals

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I checked your link and clicked on what it does, and oddly, it says:
    DOES NOT HARM TREES OR PLANTS... Is not a root a tree part?
    Cookie I don't make the laws.

Copper sulfate is well documented as its toxicity to fish and other aquatic wildlife.

I sewer line treated with Root-X does not kill the tree where copper sulfate may.

The reason the copper sulfate was a concern in those areas is the emissions from water treatment plants of copper sulfate was exceeding the maximum allowed by the EPA.

What? I thought you made that law!
    I was just pointing out that RootX is really not any better than copper sulfate, and it is pretty documented in those links. Why the great state of Ca does what it does only those in charge knows the reasons why. But, it is nice when the people knows some of the truth. It is really misleading the public to think one is safer than the next. Just my 2 cents worth for what it is worth to anyone.

God, I wish I made the laws.

All plumbers would get free chocolate chip cookies at their local bakery.

Last edited by Cookie; 11-16-2008 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jar546 View Post
    Bingo

Since you don't know where it goes why not just connect your laundry waste into your plumbing waste pipe. Probably a lot cheaper than screwing around with cameras and everything else.
    I would get some one to clean it with a camera and locator. If it does go into the perimeter drain or french drain as we call it here, I would get it figured out. If that drain is plugged it could cause other problems and still needs to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by jar546 View Post
    Bingo

Would this be hard for me to do or should I hire a plumber?

I haven't worked much with plumbing but is this a project I should try on my own?

The short answer is call a pro if you have no experience.

Unless you really pick things up quick and like learning new things. It will take a lot to learn from nothing how to do this let alone it can be dangerous if not done properly. Depending on where you live it might require a permit, most places allow homeowners to work on their own house, some don't, which is really unconstitutional according to some people.

I would figure out if the basement drains are plugged before you end up with a foot of water in your basement. It might run slow now, but if it plugs completely you will have trouble.

Just a suggestion, maybe, more a thought since I am not a plumber, but, what about getting it jetted instead of using a snake? I would think that line would be cast iron and if like mine full of rust. Just my 2 cents worth. Also, if a washer, could be a lint problem too?
    Last edited by Cookie; 11-16-2008 at 12:35 PM.

Like Terry said...have it snaked and like I said...if they pull back roots get a camera down there and see whats up.