hammer arrestors

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Brian

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Moving my washing machine to the basement. Should I buy the box with the hammer arrestors or not? I've never noticed a hammering sound from them in their current location and I will be installing the new plumbing with PEX.

The box with the hammer arrestors are about $60+, the ones without are about $25+.

What about toilets, sinks, etc. Should I be using hammer arrestors in other places? I always thought to stop the problem, you just "T" off prior to the connection and ran a short run of pipe up about 6-12", but the arrestors I seem to be seeing have a piston of some sort.

Also, is this a problem even with PEX or just with copper, I'm upgrading my remodeling jobs with PEX.

Can someone please explain? Thanks!!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score

Attachments

• 660H.jpg
    660H.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 21,665
Last edited by a moderator:

Littlebrook

Reaction score
where to place arresters

Hi,

I bought some arrestors like the ones that Redwood posted and placed them at the outlet box as shown on the picture. They worked for maybe 2 weeks or so but now the water hammer has returned. Should I try to place on directly on the washer itself? Or do I have a bad arrester?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
arrestors

If you do not have hammer, and it is less of a factor with PEX, you do not need them. In this area, we do not use them, or air chambers, and no one has any problem with hammer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks