Champion 4 flush gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

Kuba83

Reaction score
Sorry for using someone else's picture......just wanted to be clear what I was referring to.

anyway, can I get this part somewhere either locally or online, or do I have to call american standard? I've tried twice to order it but got the wrong part both times. Mine is leaking because of blisters that formed after using bleach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have good news for you...
You can replace it with a Korky p/n: 428BP Flush Valve Seal Which Fits American Standard Chumpion The blistering has been a common problem with Am. Std.'s latest fix for their trouble plagued Chumpion toilet line.

Kuba83

Reaction score
Sorry, maybe I'm using the wrong term.
That doesn't seem like it, that's one of the ones I ordered and I don't think its correct. I circled and labeled the part in the picture, its the blue gasket\seal or whatever its called. The gasket that is on top of the flush valve, kind of like a flapper on other models. Anyway unless I'm not doing something right that red seal looks like its for the old style. The blue seal is about a half inch wide, maybe more.
The red Korky seal is too narrow.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm sorry you are correct it is for the old style.
I guess you are still doomed to using the blistering Am. Std. parts.
Call Am. Std. and they'll send free replacement parts again. Sorry I know it's getting old...

Kuba83

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give them a call. Other than the seal blistering it works fine. Although why a seal in a toilet can't withstand bleach is beyond me, sounds like someone was pinching too many pennys. What's next, umbrellas that aren't waterproof? :confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Nobody's plastic/rubber toilet parts are designed to last very long with bleach. Do yourself a favor and stop. The new parts will likely last longer. If you insist on that, there are some systems that drip it into the overflow tube so the tank doesn't sit there in the highly reactive slush.

Kuba83

Reaction score
aha, didn't know that, just assumed most rubber and plastic parts could withstand some of the chemicals.

and on a completely un-related note:
I used to live in Nashua, 25 or so years ago. :D

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I'm pretty sure I'm the one who took that picture but I'm all for the road mileage it gets on the internet.

I've installed quite a few of these champion 4's and I've only had one callback on that new style tower.....small leak.

I stopped by and checked it out, flipped it over and it's been 4.5 months since I've been there...so evidently that was cure.

Couldn't see anything wrong with the facing of the gasket but I need to call them and put a couple on the truck for when they do go. I keep Toto flappers on the truck for all the ones I've installed over the years.

Everything else are those red chemical resistant Korky flappers.

Haven't been rebuilding toilets a whole lot lately....this disturbs me.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
That's true.

I replaced a toilet two days ago,

It was a peerless toilet with a cracked tank, have no clue how it cracked the way it did.

Customer brought me back a cadet 3 RH elongated and put it in. What sucks is I had to carry that toilet almost 200' to my truck without the use of a two wheeler, tank and bowl connected.

I didn't believe the customer when she said it might be a crack...just figured the tank to bowl bolts were leaking. :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks