(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Completely new to wells and having a problem

Unhappy Completely new to wells and having a problem

I never had a well until two years ago when we bought this house. The well never had a problem until recently. I don't know much about the well other than it is about 125' deep. Don't know what type of pump it uses or any other information about it. Yesterday, the breaker for the well started popping frequently. It is intermittent, but happens more often than not. It is a 20 amp breaker. When the well pump starts running, the control hums slightly, then ticks a little bit, then shuts off when working properly. I took the cover off the control, the contacts look ok to me, and I watched it during operation. When the control turned off, the contacts arced somewhat. I don't know if that is normal or not. My biggest fear is that the pump is going bad. I have tried to lift it manually, but can't do it. Any advice out there? Thanks.

Yes I have some advice. Use a DMM to verify voltage leaving the contactor then do an amp draw on the line going to the pump.

Then get out your checkbook and pay someone to replace the pump.
    http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/forum.php
    My answers are based mostly on the ICC codes. Advice given is my personal opinion and every person performing work should acquire a permit from his/her jurisdiction and get the work inspected. My opinions are not directions to follow for DIYs or professionals

Or, just make the call now and let the well pump guy handle it all.
    Setting up a Monday appointment will save a few $$$

If that control with the contacts (pressure switch) is the only control for the pump, it is a 2 wire pump and you probably will need to replace the motor. If there is another control box on the wires between the pressure switch and the well itself, then it may be problems with that box itself.