Adapting a 9 inch Rough In to 10 inch Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Noddaplumber

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just joined this forum but have been reading here for some time. I find myself in an odd situation that I haven't found an answer too so far.

My house was built in 1970. I just purchased it last April. One week after moving in I had problems with one of the toilets I couldn't figure out. I called the plumber who pulled out the toilet and found I have a 9 inch rough in and the previous owner had shoved a 10 inch rough in toilet into the spot.

I was given the option of tearing up my floor and moving the flange (??) forward or possibly having the wall knocked out and making a niche for a standard sized toilet. Today, the HD dept manager hooked me up with an idea to purchase a Toto Carrollton CST774S toilet and adapting it to my 9 inch rough in with the 10 inch Toto Unifit Adaptor. Is this possible?

I don't understand how this house went almost 40 years with a on odd sized rough and no one bothered to fix it.

Thanks. Sorry this is so long.

abak_carrollton.jpg

CST774S TOTO Carrollton

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Might still not fit. The spec sheet https://terrylove.com/pdf/CST774S.pdf

shows 3/4" behind the toilet. I didn't check all of the Totos that use the Unifit adapter, but all that I did check show 3/4" clearance behind. The way to measure is from the center of the drain in the flange to the wall (don't include the baseboard). There's usually a little fudge factor, so depending on the exact measurement, it might fit.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Gonna have to pay for some plumbing IMHO. (Move flange.)

HD sells Toto now?

Noddaplumber

Reaction score
Kingsotall, HD doesn't sell them.......at least not here but the dept manager called around to places for advice.

From the base board to the center of the flange is exactly 9 inches.

Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Then it will almost certainly fit. The rough-in measurement is not to the baseboard (unless it is extremely tall), but to the finished wall. The Toto toilets that use the unifit adapter typically have a 3/4" clearance behind them, so you must have 9-1/4" to the WALL. Your baseboard is probably thicker than 1/4". One thing you may have to tweak is that with those toilets, because the base is skirted, they're wider in the back and the water supply line might need to be moved. If you go to the link I posted, you can see where the toilet and the recommended shutoff supply is, and since it is a scale drawing, see if you can install it without moving yours.

10" Toto Drake toilets.
They only need 9-1/4" to install.

CST744EF.10 or CST744SF.10

Comfort height, elongated bowl with either the 1.28 gallon Watersense Eco Flush
or the 1.6 gallon G-Max flush.
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744ef.10.pdf

beth stout

Reaction score
I just created an account just to follow up on this very helpful post. We had the same problem described above (only 9 inches to wall) and took a gamble on the 10" Toto toilet described above and IT FIT! I wanted to post that it fit because we were so relieved and because no one ever followed up on this thread to say if it really fit. We only had 9 inches and the whole toilet fit great!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
"From the base board to the center of the flange is exactly 9 inches."

More like 9-3/4" rough then if the baseboard is 3/4"
All you need is 9-1/4" to the wall for most 10" rough toilets.

TOTO also makes a CST744EF.10 that works at about 9-1/4"

If it had been 9" to the wall, and since the horn of these is 2-5/8", you can shift the bolts away from the wall by 3/8" off center and get your 9"
https://terrylove.com/pdf/cst744ef.10.pdf

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks