Waste line clean out - how to seal now?

Users who are viewing this thread

jimfarrar

Reaction score
When my house was built a few years ago, the builder brought the waste line clean out up into the driveway. Then when the concrete driveway was poured, they never enclosed the cleanout in a vault box or frame and lid--it's just a smooth PVC pipe sticking up about 4" out of the driveway, with a light-weight press-in cap.

I want to cut the pipe flush with the driveway and cap it but I'm concerned about not being able to seal the pipe since it's smooth preventing me from using a typical threaded waste line cap. And with the pipe embedded in concrete, I'm not sure what to do.

Someone suggested cutting the pipe flush with the driveway and inserting a slip line with an expansion seal inside the pipe (vapor seal) then put a metal cap over that so a car can drive over it without damaging the pipe. However, I'm unable to locate an expansion type seal--does something like this exist?

Any advice other than not use that builder again? Thanks.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You need to get a plumber with the right tool to cut the pipe down below the concrete and install the proper plug.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

A TopKap which glues into the pipe, assuming it is the proper i.d., and has a flush plug would give you a smooth surface, then a flat metal cleanout cover with a center bolt to secure it would give the traffic capacity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks