(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Waste line clean out - how to seal now?

Default Waste line clean out - how to seal now?

When my house was built a few years ago, the builder brought the waste line clean out up into the driveway. Then when the concrete driveway was poured, they never enclosed the cleanout in a vault box or frame and lid--it's just a smooth PVC pipe sticking up about 4" out of the driveway, with a light-weight press-in cap.

I want to cut the pipe flush with the driveway and cap it but I'm concerned about not being able to seal the pipe since it's smooth preventing me from using a typical threaded waste line cap. And with the pipe embedded in concrete, I'm not sure what to do.

Someone suggested cutting the pipe flush with the driveway and inserting a slip line with an expansion seal inside the pipe (vapor seal) then put a metal cap over that so a car can drive over it without damaging the pipe. However, I'm unable to locate an expansion type seal--does something like this exist?

Any advice other than not use that builder again? Thanks.

You need to get a plumber with the right tool to cut the pipe down below the concrete and install the proper plug.

Default pipe

A TopKap which glues into the pipe, assuming it is the proper i.d., and has a flush plug would give you a smooth surface, then a flat metal cleanout cover with a center bolt to secure it would give the traffic capacity.