Tub overflow/drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeVila

Reaction score
I have a Lasco corner whirlpool. I bought a tub overflow/drain assembly and it isn't gonna work. It is adjustable (slip) fittings but it still won't be right. I thought they were all pretty much standard?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What you have and what you need isn't readily apparent. They make many versions of drain/overflow assemblies, some with adjustable angle on the drain, some for deeper tubs, etc. They have to match.

MikeVila

Reaction score
Thanks. I really have only seen a couple basic styles. Sch 40 and adjustable slip pvc. I will contact Lasco to see what they recommend. Thank you.

MikeVila

Reaction score
I was going to get a schedule 40 style with pop up. It looks like you just cut the pipe to fit. With this style do you just glue the tailpiece into the trap? The one I have is just thin wall pvc (not sch.40). It is adjustable with compression style fittings. The overflow tube isn't long enough and the tailpiece won't be long enough also.
My parents have a toe touch on there whirlpool but I believe it was the sch. 40 kit. As I mentioned would you glue the tailpiece to the trap? And yes that is why the plumbers get paid the big bucks. But I enjoy learning and doing things myself. I like to make sure I do it right and not cobbled, that has to count for something. Thx guys. What is simple for you probably isn't to alot of us. LOL. That's why your here for us. ;)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You just need to find a drain assembly kit designed for a tub with the depth you have. If you just pick up a generic one, it won't be long enough since most tubs aren't as deep. Some are also available to allow the overflow part to flex so if it isn't at a right angle to the main drain, it will still fit.

MikeVila

Reaction score
I copy! I have found some that are whirlpool type specific (17"-22"). Now what about the tailpiece to P trap connection? Do you glue it? I was wondering because I will probably do plenty of dry fitting and checking things over before I start closing everything in and such. Thanks a million!!!

MikeVila

Reaction score
I have a trap adapter for the trap. It only fits the thinwall PVC. The sch. 40 is to big. I know I just ain't got the right setup. Any ideas?

Phil Clemence

Reaction score
I just got back to this thread , and i think i know the trap adapter you mean.
(see pic below)

That is designed to adapt from a 1 1/2" PVC trap up to the smaller diameter 1 1/2" Polypropylene drain/overflows.
Hopefully you have a 1 1/2" PVC trap. In that case you won't need an adapter- you can just glue everything together- If this is not in an accesable area you definately do not want a slip joint (as with the adapter).
The best thing would be to replace the trap if it is not PVC.
Then the question becomes: What is the next pipe type changover from the trap? (into a main drain line or different type pipe such as old galvanized, etc.)

Attachments

• Dsc03809.jpg
    Dsc03809.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 493

MikeVila

Reaction score
Yes you are correct. I am just going to go with a PVC tailpiece and glue now. I have a PVC trap. BUT, I just found out I have to get a different one. The trap I have has a union. I guess I can't use it, have to get a solvent welded trap also. I thank you for your input.

MikeVila

Reaction score
Well I went ahead and got a solvent weld P trap while I was at Lowes the other day. Wife gets annoyed that I am so anal. LOL. I just like to do things the best way possible and hope to do it one time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks