Floor register

Users who are viewing this thread

Littlebrook

Reaction score
Hi,

Can someone tell me how to secure a floor register to the floor?

Whoever installed the current register just left it sitting loosely in the hole in the hardwood floors, but my 2 yr old son loves to pull up the register and stuff things into the ducts so I need to find a way to attach the register securely.

The hole is an odd size, 2 3/4 x 12 inch with uneven sides yet the only registers I can find are 2 x 12 inch. Can I glue the register to the floor somehow? What kind of adhesive should I use?

Thanks

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Don't glue it, as you won't be able to remove it later to clean it or refurbish the floor.

You might try wrapping the section that goes into the floor with duct tape, making it big enough to create a friction fit to the opening that your son can't remove until he's big enough to learn not to do so.

If that doesn't work then get some screws long enough to attach it to the wood subfloor. Pre-drill the register and the floor below.

And tell your son that's where the boogey man lives.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Funny how some claim to want to protect the public health from obvious dangers like dirty dishes but not children from an open floor register. :rolleyes:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
register

At 2 3/4" wide, it is probably more a case of protecting the register from the child, because I doubt that the kid will fall into it, unless he is severly malnourished.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks