Tub faucet and shower head location?

Users who are viewing this thread

wwilson1

Reaction score
Need more help! I'm installing a new delta tub/shower valve, tub spout and shower head.
Questions:
1. How high should the showerhead be? It will be about 72" from the bottom of the tub to the elbow on the riser - about where the old one was. Is that okay?
3. How far should the tub faucet be from the tub rim to the faucet? The old one was about 8". I thought I read 4" is better, any opinions/codes?

Old faucet.

Thanks, Wayne

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As to shower head height...if you like to stand completely under the shower without bending over, if it comes out of the wall at 6', then bends down for maybe another 6", it would only support a person 5'6" tall...personally, I like it high enough so I can get my hair rinsed out without bending over under it. To make it more convenient for other vertically challenged people, I put the shower head (actually a hand shower bracket) on an adjustable pole. I personally think 6' is too low. My unprofessional opinion. NOte, some people are using rain head showers on the ceiling...I don't think that there is a wrong height, except maybe too low.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heights

How tall are the users? I usually install it at 6'-3", (75") above the tub floor. The spout, not the valve can be anywhere but 6" is about average. The valve itself can go at any comfortable height. If you use the tub mostly as a shower then 3' above the floor is convenient for adjusting whether sitting in the tub or standing for a shower.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The tub spout needs to be its diameter, above the rim of the tub minimum by code. So 4 inches is plenty I would say 8 it's too much and would promote a splashy tub fill . The shower height isn't regulated unless it's an ada situation. I put it up as high as I can and still comfortably reach it while also being able to screw the angled shower arm into the wall with the head on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks