Check Valve at Pump or at Sandpoint

Users who are viewing this thread

ton

Reaction score
My check point is currently set up at the sand point and it works well. In order to accomdate in line heat trace that i am currently installing I am thinking about installing the check valve near the pump. This would allow me install in line heat trace after the valve all the way down the well below the frost line. If it's installed at the sand point heat trace cannot be fed through a spring loaded valve. Am I going to regret this type of set up for priming reasons. I have a 3/4 hp Jacuzzi (Franklin c series pump)

Speedbump

Reaction score
Only if your suction line has air leaks. If it's free of fittings except what are necessary and they are all air tight, it shouldn't be a problem. Sure beats freezing pipes.

bob...

ton

Reaction score
Bob how close to the pump should I install the check valve. I would assume not too much water is needed to prime one of these pumps. I have attached a picture.

Thanks again Bob

Attachments

• 100_0796.jpg
    100_0796.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,081

ton

Reaction score
Bob one more question; is external heat trace just as effective as in line tracing. This would enable me to keep the check valve where it is. (at the well head)

Speedbump

Reaction score
Since your going to be adding fittings to add the check valve, it doesn't really matter where it is. At the well is the best place on a hand driven well. In a real well, down at the bottom of the droppipe is the best place.

I am no expert on heat tapes since I live in Florida. Maybe someone else can help you with that one.

bob...

ton

Reaction score
Thanks Bob. I am going to keep the check valve it at the sandpoint well. Its working well and why mess with it. I am going to use external heat trace (less fittings, less chances of it taking air etc.)

What's your experience on running 2 sandpoints on one pump. Anything anyone needs to know based on your experience.

Thank you and I can imagine Florida being a nice place to be all winter

Speedbump

Reaction score
The problem with having more than one well is the same as moving the check valve. More air leak possibilities. If everything is air tight, there should be now problem. Keep fittings to a minimum.

Thank you and I can imagine Florida being a nice place to be all winter
That's just an ugly rumor. It's really a terrible place to live, too hot, too many bugs, snakes, gators and tourists, not to mention grey haired old farts. It's my story and I'm sticking to it!

bob...

ton

Reaction score
No way I in vision nice beaches, babes, wearing shorts all year long, your mistaken I think Florida can't be that bad!

Speedbump

Reaction score
Doesn't matter, we have closed the gate at the north end of I-75. Nobody else is allowed into the state until they level a few more Orange Groves to make room for more houses, townhomes, apartments, high rises, gated communities etc. Florida is full! I even heard it's going to snow tonight.

bob...

ton

Reaction score
LOL than you better get well versed on heat tracing for water pipes. Get to work reading up on the stuff!

Speedbump

Reaction score
You got me there.

It's been a lot of years since I have seen any heat tape. I'm sure it's come a long way since the old wind and wrap with insulation type I'm familiar with.

The biggest problem with heat tape is the possible loss of power. Seems like a good invention would be a battery back up heat tape that is good for weeks in case of a power outage. Since I thought of that, I'm sure it's already patented.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks