Installing Delta drain, help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Installing (or trying to!) a Delta RP691 drain assembly into an American Standard Princeton tub.

The retaining wire Delta includes doesnt see to want to stay on the "good side" of the tub as I tighten the screws. The whole thing wants to ride into the drain side of the tub so the retaining wire ends up retaining nothing.

What am I doing wrong? Is there some reason this drain wont fit this tub?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
You;re right! I was in a hurry last night (and a tad angry when the stuff didnt fit).

I called Delta support and they were very helpful. It sounds like they have a physical installed model of a lot of their products (the support person put me on hold "to go look at the model"). The retaining wire screws are meant to be hand tightened just enough so that they are about flush with the interior of the tub. The retaining wire just lightly touches the tub itself, the screws for the overflow plate are what really pull the drain tube up against the tub to seal it.

I was kind of thinking thats what was required, but no where do the (very limited) Delta instructions say that. Odd, their fixture instructions are very detailed, the tub drain instructions werent even close.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

One of your first mistakes may have been to read the instruction and use that retainer. Most of the time they are more trouble than they are worth, so we just throw it away and do it the conventional way.

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
One of your first mistakes may have been to read the instruction and use that retainer. Most of the time they are more trouble than they are worth, so we just throw it away and do it the conventional way.

Yep, thats what I get for reading the fine manual :)

Once I had it installed with the retainer, I actually questioned exactly what its there for. It doesnt really retain much (when I was installing the tub the drain pipe snagged one of the studs, and the retainer didnt retain a darn thing!!)

Oh well, live and learn I guess!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks