(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Installing Delta drain, help!

Default Installing Delta drain, help!

Installing (or trying to!) a Delta RP691 drain assembly into an American Standard Princeton tub.

The retaining wire Delta includes doesnt see to want to stay on the "good side" of the tub as I tighten the screws. The whole thing wants to ride into the drain side of the tub so the retaining wire ends up retaining nothing.

What am I doing wrong? Is there some reason this drain wont fit this tub?

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

if you could post some pictures of the installation and the problem it might be easier to help

You;re right! I was in a hurry last night (and a tad angry when the stuff didnt fit).

I called Delta support and they were very helpful. It sounds like they have a physical installed model of a lot of their products (the support person put me on hold "to go look at the model"). The retaining wire screws are meant to be hand tightened just enough so that they are about flush with the interior of the tub. The retaining wire just lightly touches the tub itself, the screws for the overflow plate are what really pull the drain tube up against the tub to seal it.

I was kind of thinking thats what was required, but no where do the (very limited) Delta instructions say that. Odd, their fixture instructions are very detailed, the tub drain instructions werent even close.

Default drain

One of your first mistakes may have been to read the instruction and use that retainer. Most of the time they are more trouble than they are worth, so we just throw it away and do it the conventional way.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    One of your first mistakes may have been to read the instruction and use that retainer. Most of the time they are more trouble than they are worth, so we just throw it away and do it the conventional way.
    Yep, thats what I get for reading the fine manual

Once I had it installed with the retainer, I actually questioned exactly what its there for. It doesnt really retain much (when I was installing the tub the drain pipe snagged one of the studs, and the retainer didnt retain a darn thing!!)

Oh well, live and learn I guess!