Kitchen Garbage Disposer does not drain

Users who are viewing this thread

mastana49

Reaction score
Dear Terry,

I have a double-bowl type kitchen sink, with garbage disposer installed in the larger bowl. The garbage disposer motor runs and the grinder works too, but what does not drain, instead it starts to flow back into the second smaller bowl. If left alone, the water empties/drains out slowely. I have opened the pvc pipes including the "J" joint under the sink and cleaned out everything.

Please advise what the problem is and how to fix it. Thanks!

Krish

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If those pipes are all clear then the clog is further down the drain and will require a pro to snake the line clear.

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Try using a plunger first. You'll need to have someone seal off the other sink drain while you work the first one. If you have a dishwasher connection you'll have to seal that off as well.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yea, All the force will go right up the vent without touching the clog.
A plunger will only work if the clog is before the vent.

The other thing that plunger can do is push some of that nasty drain water into the disposer... Don't worry! As Southern Man would say it adds flavor...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks