Wall mount toilet to sheetrock??

Users who are viewing this thread

Southern Man

DIY Hillbilly
Reaction score
Only ones I've spec's are commercial that mount on a casting that bolts to the floor behind the wall. I'm curious to see if there is another way. What does the manufacturer require?

a25d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Of course it must be mounted to a properly installed carrier. The carrier must be installed so that is takes all the pressure....you cannot have the drywall acting as a substrate. Is the customer aware that a wall mount toilet is expensive, the carrier alone is $$SEVERAL HUNDRED. And does he have a 1" water supply to support a flushometer, or will you use a tank-type wall mount toilet?​

a28a.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

B2CHR

Reaction score
Can let you know. I am installing one in the job we are working on now and have the info on the job site. This unit has a metal frame that mounts into the stud bay, (2x6 wall). I just reframed the wall with 2x6's so to get the 19 1/2" that the unit fits into. Seems like the bowl will rest up against the frame members with the sheet rock in between it of coarse. But still thinking about putting up 1/2" ply on the wall first then sheet rock over that. Will check the info at work though.

Attachments

• WT.jpg
    WT.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 3,276
Last edited:

psolutions

Reaction score
Actually the model shown above mounted to the 2x6 wall is almost identical to the model we picked out.. . The customer is aware and chose the wall mount simply because its on of the only ways to make it work in this situation.

Its a carrier almost exactly as above and its a duravit toilet, the carrier is by Gerbit.

I definately can make the carrier sturdy in the wall with the space and 2x6 studs we are mounting, but my worry is the wall board itself. If i place the sheetrock up (thinking green gypsum) im worried the toilet will just cause cracks in the sheetrock/paint.

Im trying to find away around this. I was thinking of doing 1/2 plywood, but then plywood in order to be mounted would stick out beyond the toilet sides and obviously wouldnt look very nice.

psolutions

Reaction score
To clarify my concern.. when i tighten the bowl against the carrier im thinking the sheetrock will smush... I dont see how i can get it tight without damaging the sheetrock.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
glenwall_gap.jpg

On a carrier system, the attachment is beyond the wall.
The toilet never touches the wall.

NOTE: Bearing nuts and washers must be set
to take full loading from the fixture allowing

1/16" clearance between fixture and wall.

https://terrylove.com/pdf/glenwall_install.pdf

You will have threaded rod, a nut, and then a larger washer.
The bowl sets up against the washer, then you secure the bowl with another set of nuts.
glenwall_picture.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
carrier

The toilet does not touch the wall when properly mounted. It mounts against backing nuts and washers which place it 1/16" or 1/8"outside the wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
toilet

Call the companies that make the fitting, J R Smith, Josam, Wade, or Zurn. They will give you the same mounting information that we posted above.

WMCLIBBY

Reaction score
The carrier looks exactly what I'm looking for and am helping our plumber determine what will fit in our remodel inn an older home. Will you share the mfg data? Thanks in advance.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
As mentioned, google any of these manufacturers: J R Smith, Josam, Wade, Geberit, Zurn. There are dozens of models available, and you plumber will need to determine what is needed to work with your wall construction and waste pipe configuration. Are you going to use a tank-type toilet? Seems you would not have the mandatory 1" water supply for a flushometer type.

WMCLIBBY

Reaction score
As mentioned, google any of these manufacturers: J R Smith, Josam, Wade, Geberit, Zurn. There are dozens of models available, and you plumber will need to determine what is needed to work with your wall construction and waste pipe configuration. Are you going to use a tank-type toilet? Seems you would not have the mandatory 1" water supply for a flushometer type.

Thanks for prompt reply!! Yes, tank type toilet, i.e Crane Rexmount 3217. Unfortunately our plumbing company has left me to find the correct carrier. They don't have much experience installing these units in older remodels and not new installations. Our half bath was changed to a laundry room years ago and after a new laundry room was made, it was decided to reopen the old half bath. unfortunately the hanger is no longer there with the exception of the hub and a 12" spacing between studs. Thanks for your comments and will continue to visit your references for to determine correct fit hanger. Unfortunately there are no inventories in the local area to perform an off shelf "look see".

WMCLIBBY

Reaction score

Success. I found a Wade carrier that will fit the stud width and typical bolt pattern. Thanks Again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks