Tub install question.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
About time to install my new tub. Americast Princeton, spec says 60-1/8" wide RO.

The whole bathroom is....of course... 60" wide. Ive planed down the studs where the tub will be installed, but Im worried about the other studs that arent as wide.

Im not sure what kind of angle/clearance I would need to angle the tub into place (Im assuming Ill take it in on an angle, hook the drain end underneath the shower valve and then angle the other end into place).

Any experience?

Throwing a monkey wrench into things, I wanted to put a mortar bed down, so I will probably only have one good shot at getting the tub in place!!!

Thanks.

-Chris

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
Haha, I did a job along side a tiler one day who wondered how I was going to pull the tub out and replace it in an installation setting like the one you described, he went on to tell me that he did something similar in his home and that he chopped out all of the wall studs to be able to pull out the tub. My jaw dropped at that story, as I showed him that all he had to do was to move the tub out a little bit so that the apron was no longer resting against a wall stud, but was instead in the void between wall studs. Then all he he had to do was lift the tub up a little so that the bottom of the apron cleared the sill plate, and then just angle the tub up and out of there! He was pretty amazed at how simple it was, and I could tell by his face, he was a little bit upset.

Do not expect to get this done in one shot, especially if you plan on doing a mortar bed...dry fit, dry fit, dry fit!!!!!

Chrisexv6

Reaction score
Yeah, I figured I didnt need to widen ALL of the studs, for now I widened the ones where I know the tub/apron will be.

Dry fit is right.........I guess Ill re-schedule some lifting assistance for when I have more time. Hopefully it wont take long once we get going.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks