(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: softener piping question

Default softener piping question

As mentioned in another post, I am installing a softener with a Clack WS-1 valve. I had intended on making this a 3 valve system so that the softener could be totally bypassed if needed.

Is this not a good idea because of the section of piping that will have "dead" water trapped in it?

Thanks...

All three way manual by passes will have dead ends on each side of the crossover valve, there's no way to prevent them.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Default dead ends

Almost EVERY plumbing system will have a dead end somewhere. Usually an unused hose faucet or connection for a future sink.

Possibly in areas with slab construction but not in most other areas but, they are much worse for water quality problems than a 3-way manual bypass. And if that stuff were plumbed right, they'd have shut off valves on the lines and the valves shut off.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.