Water heater pilot light goes out

Users who are viewing this thread

Coldnwet

Reaction score
I have a Reliance 606 water heater that the pilot light goes out frequently, actually every day. A plumber friend told me that the thermocouple had gone bad, he then proceeded to place a fan in front of the unit and that has worked ever since.

I really don't want the fan running all of the time, which it must be, and would like to repair the water heater permanently. The unit is not under warranty. Any suggestions?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Hard to understand how a fan would correct a thermocouple problem. But it might explain a combustion air problem. Is the WH in an enclosed space?

Jay Mpls

Master plumber
Reaction score
Hire your plumber friend.Fix his(her?) sagging economy and get your water heater done at the same time.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

If the thermocouple is bad, the heater will not light in the first place, regardless of whether you have a fan there or not. You have a different problem, and if a fan cures it, it could be a combustion venting problem, and that is worse than a bad thermocouple, because it can kill you.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you need a new plumber. Make sure he is a licensed plumber and not just a handyman. As others have noted, gas can really ruin your day.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks