Water from faucets sounds like it will explode

Users who are viewing this thread

lball

Reaction score
Hey there. I live in Maine and ever since the ice storm of '98 we have had water problems that are getting worse. Whenever we turn on our faucets or flush the toilets the water spurts out at a high pressure or the toilet sounds like it will explode. Last week tested the pressure in the pump and found that low so we added more. The problem went away for a few days but is now back full force. we have now dug around the well casing and have located the pipe leading to the well to check for a leak there but cannot tell if the water around it is ground water or a leak. our well goes 385' down and when there is no problems we have good pressure. Any help please want to get this taken care of before the cold weather comes.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Whenever we turn on our faucets or flush the toilets the water spurts out at a high pressure or the toilet sounds like it will explode. Last week tested the pressure in the pump and found that low so we added more. The problem went away for a few days ...

It sounds to me like you are getting blasts of air, and that would indicate a problem at the level of your pump or even down lower in your well. Your pump is possibly somehow drawing air.

we have now dug around the well casing and have located the pipe leading to the well to check for a leak there but cannot tell if the water around it is ground water or a leak. our well goes 385' down and when there is no problems we have good pressure.

Dampness in the ground around the first few feet of your well casing could indicate a leak on the pressure side of (above) your pump, and that could cause low pressure in the house. However, a pressure leak would not cause the kind of spurts you have described. If I were you, I would have the well checked to be sure you have plenty of water available to the pump.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you have a check valve before the pressure tank, a leak in the underground line before that check valve, could very well let air into the system. Remove the above ground check valve. Then you can see if pressure leaks off while no one is using water. Pressure leaking off while no one is using water is proof that you have a leak somewhere.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks