Question about basement shower-plumbing problem

Users who are viewing this thread

krstyamy

Reaction score
I have a full bath in the basement. Doing renovations there and the shower stall has rust/something coming up from the pipes. My h. thinks they can just put a snake down there and clean it out? Is this the case?

I know it could be roots but I refuse to tear a tree down. We get water through the city- can they help me with this- help- any plumbers out there??

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Need more explanation or a picture ot understand what you are talking about. Are you talking rusty water? Coming up from the drain? water coming up from a drain, rusty or not implies a clog. If it's a rust stain, somebody could have used steel screws where stainless steel or brass is called for. If your drain lines are cast iron, and several other types used years ago, they can leak at a joint. A leaking joint will attact tree roots. You can usually get a drain cleaner out to rout out the line, but it won't fix the leak. The alternative is live with it and have the line cleaned periodicall, or replace it. Cutting a tree down may not stop if for awhile, since the roots will live on for awhile. There are things you can put down the drain to slow the roots regrowth, if it is that. The long-term answer is a new drain line with sealed joints so there are no leaks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
roots

Don't worry about cutting the tree down. If you do, 25 years from now you will still not have its shade but you WILL have problems with its roots. The tree needs the roots, the roots do not need the tree.

Jay Mpls

Master plumber
Reaction score
Do not over think the problem!You have a simple backed up drain.A cable cleaning will do fine and all will be well.If it is roots in the sewer they are not keeping your tree alive.
From waht you have said you have an inside drain,maybe connected to one other line that is backing up.Easy fix.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with those who suggest your drain is clogged and should be professionally cleaned from end to end. The auger used needs to be industrial sizes to cut of any roots that have gotten in to the line as well as clearing the clog and not just making a hole through it. If the problem reoccurs, then I would advise a camera inspection to determine exactly what and where the problem lies. We can speculate all day about what could be wrong, but it would only be guessing...educated guessing perhaps, but guessing none the less. What is certain is that there is a blockage in the line and it needs to be professionally cleaned by a plumber who does not have Roto as part of the company name.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
If there are roots in there they will just cut up the roots. It won't hurt the tree. If you find that is your problem you will just have to have your line cleaned out every year or two. It isn't a big deal.

yeah collapsed mains due to root infiltration are nothing to worry about... :rolleyes:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks