pump wont come on

Users who are viewing this thread

jrmcmil

Reaction score
My problem is that when I am home and running water it will work all day long but if I go to work or even to bed the next time I use the water it will run until tank is empty and then pressure drops to zero. I have to manually close the switch to force water. When the pressure drops to 30 the switch is closing on its own but the pump is not coming on, as soon as the pressure drops to zero the switch opens and thats when I can manually turn it on.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
If you have a submersible pump, the switch or the nipple it is screwed on or the hole the nipple is screwed into on the tank tee is blocked with rust etc.. If you have a jet pump, the same applies but add the tubing to the switch and the fitting it attaches to and the hole that fitting is screwed into.

jrmcmil

Reaction score
Hey Gary,
Thanks for your response, I had someone else tell me they same thing so I took points off and took a long screwdriver and ran it down thru nipple it did come out with some rust but screwdriver went right thru. Do you think that there could be something larger it the pipes
that is moving around. Sometimes I get a gush of water when I turn it on and sometimes its slower. There are also times that instead of just holding switch on I have to open the drain and let the tiny bit of water thats in there out and then it will fire right up, could causing something to move around.

Speedbump

Reaction score
More than likely, the pressure is dropping low enough to allow the M4 to shut the pump off again on the low pressure cut out. Then it requires human intervention to get the pump going again.

Either your pump is running out of water, or it just can't keep up with demand. Get rid of the M4 and you may be able to go back to a normal life.

bob...

jrmcmil

Reaction score
We have tried using a different switch and no difference, and we have also checked well and there is plenty of water.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You never did tell us what kind of pump you have. Can you describe it to us? If it's a jet pump, how many pipes go to the well from the pump? One or two? Is there a check valve in front of the pump?

bob...

jrmcmil

Reaction score
dont really know alot about the pump, but I do know that the pump is inside the well.

Speedbump

Reaction score
We have tried using a different switch and no difference, and we have also checked well and there is plenty of water.

Why did you go back to the M-4?

When you looked and saw plenty of water, was this while the pump was running and you were using water???

bob...

jrmcmil

Reaction score
No pump was not running, but we have noticed that when the pump is running that over by the well casing you can hear air sucking sounds.

Speedbump

Reaction score
You need to run a bunch of faucets while watching the water level in the well. If it goes down out of sight, your well is probably drawing down to the pump and that's when you run out of water.

bob...

jrmcmil

Reaction score
I can run water all day long, wash clothes, run dishwasher, shower, flush toilets and other things and the water is fine, its when you stop using the water when it wont come back on. Overnight and if we leave for awhile is when the points wont close to turn on the pump.

Speedbump

Reaction score
What I am trying to do is help you troubleshoot the problem. The fact that you run things throughout the day doesn't tell me anything. Watching the water level in the well while someone else turns on a lot of water will tell you if the level of water in the well goes down to the pump or not.

bob...

jrmcmil

Reaction score
The well is 110 ft. deep its a little difficult to watch the water levels.

jrmcmil

Reaction score
Sorry Hillbilly didnt mean to forget you. Yes the pump is in the well casing.

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
You have a confusing problem .
1- You said in your 1st post that when the pressure drops to 30 the switch closes but the pump doesn't come on . When this happens is the pump not running or is the pump running but not pumping water ? If you are near the casing you can usually hear the pump running if it is running . If the pump isn't running with the switch closed , either electricity isn't getting from the pressure switch to the pump motor or the motor is kicked out on its internal thermal overload switch or the motor itself is going bad . If the pump is running but not pumping water when the switch closes at 30 pounds then it's not an electricial problem unless it's an intermitent problem .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks