Poss. asbestos near pipes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rad777

Reaction score
I am new to DIY, with a recent home purchase I am getting a warm welcome. However, fixing a leak in the wall shows a batt of between two wall joists. My father in law passed away from asbestos and hence wife is worried.

I checked online and most of the time, the asbestos I saw was white coatings?
The lines you see are from the lattices*? (*thin strips of wood resembling thick shims).
The paper has no labels, so I can't check online.

Could anyone tell me if there is a likely chance there is asbestos in this batting? Thanks!

Attachments

• pipe.JPG
    pipe.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 745

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Asbestos does not usually look like that . What you have looks like fibreglass, or rock wool. An asbestos test in not very expensive, and would give her peace of mind.

BurleyMike

Reaction score
That sure does look like fiberglass. You can see the light from the flash on the camera shining on the glass fibers.

If you take a sample outside and hold a lighter or torch flame to it, it will melt if it is fiberglass.

Rad777

Reaction score
thank you everyone, yes it is indeed fiberglass (the cotton candy like substance got stuck on a scan)... I think I was more or less confused... I still don't know if I am 100% but, I thought that asbestos was IN older fiberglass batts...

Also while you all are so helpful, any quick ways to drain a horizontal pipe when opening the drain below it does nothing?

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
insulation

That is not asbestos, and even if it were I doubt that you are in any danger. I worked with asbestos powder, paste, and sheets for years, along with asbestos tile and asbestos water mains, and have NEVER even had a cough from it. And that was for a period of about 50 years.

Rad777

Reaction score
Well, just to send an update I repaired four right angles and one busted section ~3". I turned on the water with my wife upstairs and all I heard was "TURN IT OFF!" There was another single pipe going to the toilet across the ceiling that created a waterfall. Was kind of funny.

Thanks everyone for the assistance which put us at ease. Here is a pic of the wall once ripped out. Maybe it'll help someone one day, I don't know, but anyway here it is.

Attachments

• done.JPG
    done.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 355
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks