Briggs, Flush valve or flapper for old Briggs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Where to purchase these. Needed for 2 old Briggs toilets
Denise

Attachments

• tankguts.jpg
    tankguts.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,173

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A couple of possibilities...

When it is removed are there hooks that may be used to hang a different flapper on?

It uses a rubber washer to seal. some other manufacturers use a hard plastic flapper with the same type of rubber washer. It may be possible to steal the washer off on and use it on yours.

That failing replace the flush valve...

Another possibility (my least favorite) is using the Fluidmaster #555C Flusher Fixer Kit
http://www.fluidmaster.com/pdfs/555c_instructions.pdf

Last edited:

denise1953

Reaction score
RE: tank guts

Sorry all,
I didn't realize that this did work- I attached the picture afterall.
This is my problem tank. I replaced the black flushing valve- that was not a problem. The problem is this plastic, white, thing that holds the flapper-Can't find them any where here.

Denise

denise1953

Reaction score
Hi Redwood,
No, there are no hooks on my plastic tube to hang another flapper on- that is why the Corky can't work or any other for that matter.
Denise

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Or you may just need to pick up a new flush valve.
Both Fluidmaster and Korky sell complete tank rebuid kits that come complete with flush valve and fill valve.

denise1953

Reaction score
RE: flush valve or flapper for old Briggs

I was afraid that I would have to rebuild with the tank kit. I havae to remove the tank - right? Thank you for the red corky- I will try slipping it over the tube- as far down as it will go- as I can't cut the back as the directions say for the plastic tubes. It has nothing to hang to.( I did try it)
Denise

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

NOrmally the collar at the bottom is going to prevent the flapper from going down far enough to seal properly and if you stretch it over it, then it changes the geometry and it either closes too quickly or leaks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks