Pegasus Dual Flush low price at HD

Users who are viewing this thread

ronrca

Reaction score
Website
www.magnaiv.com
We are currently building a new house and need to purchase 3 toilets. Unfortunately we are on a tight budget therefore 3 Totos however ideal may not be feasible.

HD has Pegasus Dual Flush on sale for $99! Which is unbelievably low however is it worth it? I can buy 3 Pegasus for the price of 1 Toto DF in my area. What kind of preformance does the Pegasus DF have in terms of flushing capablitiy? We hate to be using plungers on a regular basis.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You get what you pay for!
It's that simple.
Pegasus is a Home Depot house brand made to their cheap specifications.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Since Pegasus is a name for whatever the "buyer" gets, it would be impossible to comment on it.
The manufacturer could change on a weekly basis, and it could still be called a Pegasus.
Pegasus is a "house brand".

Here is a previous comment on a Pegasus Dual Flush

Last edited:

ronrca

Reaction score
Website
www.magnaiv.com
So basicly 'buy at my own risk' kind of thing. Tough choice given the prices! Anyone have experiences with them? Search the net and cant find anything specific good nor bad!
What about Paja or SSWW brands? Anyone heard anything on these as well? Paja DF I can buy for around $150-200, Toto Aquira $380!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What many folks experience with these house brand el-cheapos is after a year or so they have a problem and find that there are no parts available. These pieces of junk are intended to grab folks like you who put price ahead of value. Going cheap on toilets is not a wise decision.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
So basicly 'buy at my own risk' kind of thing. Tough choice given the prices!

Not really an own risk kind of thing...
More like, some day it's gonna crap out, hopefully, while parts can still be found for it. If they can be found great, if not it will either have to be replaced, or, adapted to other parts if possible.

Tough choice? I don't think so!

A toilet is an item that on the average is used 4 times by every person in the family. They often see 20-40 years of service in a house... You should really think about whether this is something you want to go with the bottom of the line or, not.

When you look at the cost of installing several junkers that only last a short time vs a quality toilet that lasts for the life of your bathroom remodel with only normal parts replacement for wear and tear it's just not worth cheaping out on...

May I suggest a Toto Toilet?

ronrca

Reaction score
Website
www.magnaiv.com
Reliability is a concern as well as replacement parts! How long can el cheapo toilets last? If one can get 7-13 years out of a Pegasus, dollar wise your even at the end of the day/lifespan however its the flushing capability that concerns us more so. Kind of embarassing to have flushing problems while entertaining guests! lol
Btw, Totos are not common up here in Alberta, Canada and DF is only starting to become more common.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
How long they last?
A lot of variables there...
It all boils down to the individual components and how good they are and environmental concerns too.

Zinc plated steel bolts holding the tank onto the bowl...
How long will it take for your water to rust them out?

Good toilets use brass bolts which don't rust...

That's just one point!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The bolts will be yellow as they use yellow zinc plating over the steel...
They try hard to make it look like brass...
Other components should be checked to make sure that commonly available replacement parts fit.
Then all you have to do is use the plunger.
And if you call me to auger it once or twice all your savings is wiped out and put in my pocket.

Jay Mpls

Master plumber
Reaction score
Buy the cheap toilet and think of it as disposable.
Buy cheap buy twice.Hopefully you will be able to buy a good toilet when these die.
On your final plumbing inspection for the house if it requires a monometer test,it would be wise to test these fixtures before they are installed.Good luck.

ronrca

Reaction score
Website
www.magnaiv.com
Thanks Jay! Kind of what we were thinking as well. We decided that we will go with 1 Toto Aquira and 2 cheap ones. At least this way if the cheapos do not perform, we still have a reliable one.

kc1121

Reaction score
thought of this thread when I was at HD this morning... talked to someone who was returning a Pegasus HET and I asked him why the return -- in his words 'the flush is terrible.'

He paid about $30-35 less than what I could get a Eco Drake for in my area. Can get a rebate on the Eco Drake from the water company also, not sure about the Pegasus

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Jamie went to repair a Glacier Bay (Home Depot brand) toilet yesterday.
The standard replacement flappers did not work with it, so I went to HD to find a correct flapper.

Of course, there are no Glacier Bay flappers.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Jamie went to repair a Glacier Bay (Home Depot brand) toilet yesterday.
The standard replacement flappers did not work with it, so I went to HD to find a correct flapper.

Of course, there are no Glacier Bay flappers.

The customer didn't save the instruction sheet showing the part numbers and the phone number to call for parts?:eek:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pegasus

The address for Pegasus is the same as the Home Depot headquarters. Our experience with anything Pegasus might have little meaning to you, because you could get the one that just barely passed inspection, assuming it was inspected, which I doubt given the defective items I have come across.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Pegasus

You asked if it is worth $99, and I guess the answer to that is yes, but not much more. Now if you had asked if you can get a good dual flush toilet for $99, then our answers would probably be, "When pigs fly".

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
You had to say it...

PigontheWing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks