Flowise Dual Flush 2479.216 dual flush toilet, problems and questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Neotonic

Reaction score
Any American bowl with a 3" flush valve is going to kick Caroma's butt when it comes to drain line carry.

At least if you go by testing for toilets done by independants.
1.6 gallon, Washdown Large Diameter trap (Caroma), 79% of average carry distance
1.6 gallon, 3" Flapper siphon jet, 108% of average carry distance
1.6 gallon Pressure assist, 132% of average carry distance

I sell 3,000 toilets a year, very few of the Aussi dual flush.
There are plenty of better products out there.

drain_line_carry.jpg

Whoa! That is surprising for me.... I'll keep that in mind when Buying a new toilet.

Reader Review

Comments by readers
Reaction score
Emails and phone calls sent in by readers
Website
www.terrylove.com
I saw your post regarding the American Standard Flowise Dual Flush back in March of last year. I was just curious if you have been happy with it. Me being one to always look into conservation, I replaced all 3 of my toilets with this model (chair height elongated to be specific). I noticed by design, Fluidmaster has disabled the overflow fill tube, whicvh is probably to save water. The other thing I noticed is that the water level in the bowl is low. In turn this causes a lot of soil build up on the bowl above the water line. Gross, I know. Have you noticed any issues with it?

I contacted American Std and they agreed with me the design seems flawed, but this was from a phone rep, not an engineer.

Thanks for any ifo.

J Farrell

tenax

Reaction score
i too was surprised by the level of water..glad to find that it's normal for this kind of tech, i guess..i suspect the tradeoff for that low water level will be more "streaking" if i can say that, at times? but i have a toilet bowl brush..it's going to happen with any toilet i've ever had. my only concern would be if the toilet wasn't able to move mass..i picked the american standard dual flush in part because it was map tested at 900 i believe. i have an american standard cadet 6l map tested at 1000 (for 2 years now) and zero issues. as the am standard dual flush seems to be pretty new, i do want to stay on top of any information that may come out about it. (i.e. flawed toilet) but so far, i'm very happy with the 2 i've installed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Welcome to the green world. California already has a mandatory phase in period underway on the 1.28 GPF. By around 2012, all toilets sold will have to be 1.28 Other states and the feds are sure to follow.

I see graywater flush as the only way to get back to a really good toilet. Or, build new houses with 1" water supplies, enough to supply a flushometer. 1.6 gallon fushometers perform very well, and Sloan already has a dual flush unit, which qualifies as the 1.28 average.

Graywater is a whole new world, with scary implications when you bring DIY and perhaps worse than that...hack contractors, into the picture. But it would be a challenging new field for a smart plumber. There has already been an incident here where a contractor inadvertently connected the entire potable supply of a new commercial building to the purple pipe rather than the city supply. This went undetected by engineers and inspectors...for a year! Purple, of course, is cleaner than gray water..but is not fit for human consumption, although no one died from it in this case.

Sloan makes the pressure assist Flushmate tanks in 1.6 and 1.0 configurations.
WDI Technology makes a 1.6/1.1 pressure assist, many of their flush handles quit working the first year.

wdi_ecoflush_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

joe plumber

Reaction score
i'm probably a little late on this but i have experience on these toilets and have replaced 6 or 7 of them because of the same problems you are having. the water level is that low ffor these toilets....it's all for water conservation....but i don't think when they built them any actually sat down and tested one of these after a big turkey dinner lol.........instead of the solids entering water and floating in it, or slowly settling to the bottom. the solids hit the sides and bottom leaving traces of the previos user.....so therefore you hve to use more water to clean the toilet every time you drop a solid, the water conservation goes out the window,and these are the complaints that i have been getting. T

joe plumber

Reaction score
the company that i work for sometimes does warranty work for american standard and if you call them and speak nicely and explain your problem they will more than likely send a service tech to replace the toilet at no charge.....

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks