Relocating drain! Look good?

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeVila

Reaction score
I am installing a whirlpool with a different drain location than my previous corner tub in my manufactured home. The drain will only be about 36" away from original. Will this work. I have attached a drawing of my plan. If so when I cut into the 2" ABS will the pipe move enough laterally to slip the T in? Any transition needed from ABS to PVC. Someone had mentioned they thought you had to use a special glue?

Attachments

• drain pics 002.jpg
    drain pics 002.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 689
  • drain pics 001.jpg
    drain pics 001.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 709

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It doesn't look like you have enough depth. You cannot use a Tee on it's back to connect a waste line like that.

MikeVila

Reaction score
Yes I don't have enough depth. Just got back from Lowes and got alot of my materials and unless it comes above my subfloor it won't fit underneath. Anything wrong with that? Why can't I use the Tee? If that isn't correct could you please tell me what is the correct way? Also: Can you not use an S trap for a tub? Tell me what I need to do and I will follow your orders!!:D

MikeVila

Reaction score
I can rotate the T fitting and that should allow the room. I don't understand why it is "the wrong connection". Tell me the right way fellas. I am here to learn. I need to get my plumbing figured out so HELP a fella out.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A tee can only be used to connect a horizontal branch or trap arm to a VERTICAL waste pipe. Has to do with the sweep and clogging of the inlet. You need to use a wye and a 45.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

1, Your vent is horizontal
2. To make the horizontal vent even somewhat acceptable it would have to be a wet vent for something else.
3. As drawn you have an "S" trap which is not permitted for ANY fixture.
4. However, depending on the plane you are drawing you could be showing a "P" trap, in which case the only concern is the type of fitting you are using to connect to the drain line.

The above concerns are why it is not legal, permitted, or acceptable. But it will work, assuming you abide by #4 above, at least for a little while.

MikeVila

Reaction score
It is a P trap in the drawing. S traps are not permitted? I have S traps all throughout my home. Isn't there a code that the drain has to be within like 3' of the vent? In which case it would be. Could you show me the correct connection and routing via a pic of some sort? I just want to do it right. I'm sure some would've cobbled it by now but I want to do it 1 time.

MikeVila

Reaction score
With the above mentioned connections, would they fit under the floor? Or would I have to rotate them to the side for them to fit?

MikeVila

Reaction score
So I would just use a reducer to go from my 1 1/2" P trap and go straight into the exhisting 2" drainline. Now for the vent. After I cut the drain line would I use the back half of the 2" drain line or just go from the vent going up the wall and get rid of the old T for the old trap and run new 1 1/2" pipe for the vent? Then would I use a Wye and tie into the drainline? Approximately where would I Wye into the drainline after the trap? I really appreciate the help. Picture is worth a thousand words. All of this would then be the "professional" way to go?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

By code you should not run it horizontally until it is above, (actually 6" above), the rim of the tub. How we would do it depends entirely on the existing construction of the house, something we cannot see without being there and not shown in the drawing. And might not be able to be shown so we can see what we need to.

MikeVila

Reaction score
That is how someone said they would do it with the layout I have. That is my plan then. Seems like that would be the only way to go.

MikeVila

Reaction score
O.K. I still haven't gotten this plumbing job completed. I keep getting different stories on what is allowed. On the current setup I was gonna use wye's and was told no to use T's. Cut the wye,t combo out and installed a T and then someone said it had to be a Wye. This is what I have dry fit. I am gonna have the P trap drop down lower where it comes out of the trap and does a street 90 directly into the drain line. The vent will then come out of the top of the T and go to the vent stack at the wall. The current waste/overflow isn't the correct setup. It will be changed. Lord help me!!!:(

Attachments

• dry fit 001.jpg
    dry fit 001.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 503
  • dry fit 002.jpg
    dry fit 002.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 485
  • dry fit 003.jpg
    dry fit 003.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 490

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The way you have it, it IS an "S" trap, but if you drop it down and go into the end of the tee it will be proper. It appears you have shot yourself in the foot with the water lines, because they appear to be EXACTLY where the trap will have to be when it is in the correct location. Now it seems you will have to make a circutious drain line to work around them.

MikeVila

Reaction score
I didn't shoot myself lol, the lines were there, I didn't put them there lol. No it should be close but it will be just perfect amount of room to come down some. So your giving me approval to run my vent and glue it together? LOL. Don't see any problems?

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can't mix ABS and PBC,
You can't use a santee on the horizontal
The vent needs to be higher than the outlet for the trap arm,
The water lines are in the way and need to be moved for the trap

What was your question again?

MikeVila

Reaction score
LOL, Am I being punked or what? Will this end? Why does one master plumber tell me something than another tells me something oppositte? This is getting crazy. :eek:

If not use the san T should I use the Wye's then? Why am I getting multiple stories?

The vent will be higher than the outlet of trap arm when I lower the trap.

Water lines aren't in the way. If they do come close, tub can be shifted a little bit over away some. (they are below plumbing, pic don't really show it, bad angle I guess)

AGAIN! Why am I getting told YES, NO, YES, NO? This is frustrating. Hard to learn when you get all this different info.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
So you are planning on having the trap hook up to the horizontal run of the sanitee and the vent is going straight up out of the sanitee?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks