Air Gap Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That link was posted earlier. That link talks about contamination of the water supply. The installation of an air gap for a dishwasher drain is not mentioned in that link for obvious reasons.

Holy leaping septic water Batman, backflow is backflow.

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
Holy leaping septic water Batman, backflow is backflow.

Golly Beaver, you should tell dad about that definition!

http://www.abpa.org/faq.htm

Backflow is defined on that site.

The air gap discussed in the above is part of a standard dishwasher, and it is factory installed in the water line feed to the dishwasher.

Last edited:

BurleyMike

Reaction score
Not trying to be a smart alec but why couldn't a check valve be intslled in the DW line to prevent backflow?

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
If there is regular plumber's putty under the air gap, it will destroy both the plastic air gap and the marble counter.

A mechanical check valve is not only unnecessary with an air gap, but a source of headaches down the road.

BurleyMike

Reaction score
I mean could you install a check valve in place of an air gap? From your reply I take it they would plug up with gunk and not work?

WV Hillbilly

Reaction score
I plead ignorance about air gaps for dishwasher drains . I know some have them & I have seen many that had a high loop & no air gap device . It seems that most on here that argue they are necessary also refer to a clogged drain condition that forces cruddy water back into the dishwasher . What is in a air gap that would prevent this from happening ? A check valve ? I also understand why an air gap would prevent water from siphoning back to the dishwasher . I'm still wondering if the original poster pulled the hose off the disposal to see if the plug was completely removed .

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
Let me splain it Lucy. You'll probably argue anyway but here goes. You are an engineer I guess, so you should understand this.

Garbage disposal filled with nasty chicken parts and stuff.
Salmonella and Botchelism. Bizzillions of filthy little bacteria, all swimming around. Dishwasher piped into garbage disposal. Disposal drain plugs up. Nasty chicken water pumped back into dishwasher. Chicken guts all over dishes. Kid opens dishwasher and uses contaminated dish without noticing the filthy soup on the bottom. Gets sick, very sick. Perhaps dies.

Me no savy Kemo Sabi.

A more common scenario is that after a long day at work and the usual stop at the local watering hole, the plumber gets home and finds that he has a clogged kitchen sink. The drunk plumber sticks his wifes head in the kitchen sink that is clogged full with nasty chicken parts and stuff. Salmonella and Botchelism. Bizzillions of filthy little bacteria, all swimming around. Wife gets sick, very sick. Perhaps dies.

Wife should have known better. The plumber was expecting to have steak for dinner, not chicken soup!

Still want to argue over a 20 dollar air gap?

Yup, $20 for the part. What is the $300 extra labor charge I note on the proposal? Pickup and installation of what, an air gap? Drill hole in counter top? Is that required by code here?

What, it is not required? Then forget about it!

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
I plead ignorance about air gaps for dishwasher drains . I know some have them & I have seen many that had a high loop & no air gap device . It seems that most on here that argue they are necessary also refer to a clogged drain condition that forces cruddy water back into the dishwasher . What is in a air gap that would prevent this from happening ?

The mess ends up on the kitchen counter all over chicken dinner instead of in the dishwasher in that rare scenario.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Plumbers install air gaps to meet plumbing code.

Southern man, nobody is going to sue a plumber for meeting code.
Duh!

This thread is getting stupider by the post.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
This could go on forever I suppose. Terry or someone should shut this one down.

Maybe I can get the last shot in though.

A check valve is a mechanical device with no intermediate air vent and a possibility of failure. Therefore, non code compliant.

And I am still trying to figure out why a supposed engineer with a degree would be so flippant about a device that can solve sanitary problems with so little expense or labor.

BurleyMike

Reaction score
Ok that makes sense why a check valve would not work. I knew there must be a reason the air gap is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks