Need help installing a new tub/shower faucet.

Users who are viewing this thread

wwilson1

Reaction score
All,

I need some advice for installing a new tub/shower valve. The first two photos show the existing arrangement, and the last photo shows the new valve. I want to use galvanized pipe and fittings since I’m not capable of doing copper.
1. The new valve has male (IPS) threads sticking out of it instead of female threads (like the old one). I would like to use ½†couplings (female/female) to on each of male threads of the valve then re-attach everything like the old valve was installed. Is that a good way to do this?
3. Are the male IPS threads compatible with the female NPT (I think) coupler threads?
4. Should I add more unions?
5. How do I calculate the new lengths that will be needed on the left and right side of the valve?
Thanks, Wayne

Attachments

• Old Valve 11.JPG
    Old Valve 11.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,372
  • Old Valve 22.JPG
    Old Valve 22.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 3,783
  • New valve 1.JPG
    New valve 1.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 860
Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The problem is that your old Moen had female inlets and the new Delta has male. You can use a coupling and a nipple, but this may add too much length to mate up properly with the existing unions.

You will just need to get a handful of different size nipples, and take things apart back to the point that will allow a proper eassembly.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
cut it out to the ells

if you cant solder, good luck....

I suppose you could get galvanized couplings
and build the faucet back up probably having to add
2 unions into the system to make it easier...

you could maybe just put a coupling on the top going
to the shower and jsut screw it back in to the line
going up to the shower ...
then add unions to the hot and cold sides of the fixture.

and cut it back to the elbows and start over form there......

that looks like a lot of work to me.

Last edited:

wwilson1

Reaction score
follow on tub faucet

mark and jimbo,

Thanks for the help. One more question:
Will the male IPS threads (straight) on the Delta work with the galvanized couplers (NPT taper I presume)? I plan to use teflon tape for thread sealing.

Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks