Sewage Smell in my Laundry room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Katonah Medic

Reaction score
Website
www.katonahreiki.com
25 year old house, Washroom waste pipe (copper) is first ,(or last) connection on the waste line before the exit main (cast) to my septic system outside.

I can smell that sewage smell in the room, and in the washer tub. I just had the cesspool drained/cleaned/inspected/ in August.

What does this mean? Can I add Rid-ex to the system? Does that help?

I don't have that smell at any of the sinks, or in the basement.

Thanks, and Hello to all, looking forward to participating on these boards.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would have the line checked to make sure it is not blocked or leaking.
Adding Rid-X is the equivelent of clicking your heels together and saying, "there is no place like home." Three times...
The bacteria in Rid-X occures naturally in the cesspool and requires no suplimentation.

Last edited:

Jay Mpls

Master plumber
Reaction score
A lot of people mistake bad smells as sewer gas.Dead mice,full cat box...
If it is really sewer gas you have
1)A dried out trap.(Floor drain or other fixture)
2)A hole and your waste and vent plumbing system.
Drag your nose around until you find the source of the stink and go from there.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some washing machines are more susceptable to nasty smells than others. YOu might try filling the washer with hot water and a lot of bleach, then, let it sit for awhile (i.e., turn it off), then let it continue the cycle. This may disolve some nasty soap scum on the inner tub or other things that can grow there. Also, it sometimes helps if you leave the cover open on the washing machine in between uses...this also allows it to dry out. If it is crud in the washer, it tends to grow much better when continually damp, so leaving it open to air out can help. If you have a laundry sink and don't use it regularly, pour some water down the drain occassionally. Does the standpipe for the washing machine have a trap?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Some washing machines are more susceptable to nasty smells than others ...

Yes, and I just learned about that myself about a week ago while working on mine. The inner tub that spins sits inside an outer tub that does not, and the bottom of that inner tub and its center cavity over the drive post that is under the agitator can get really nasty. There is a good chance your house plumbing is fine and your wash tub needs an internal treatment.

Check this out:
http://www.smellywasher.com/

Attachments

• smellywasher_001.png
    smellywasher_001.png
    28 KB · Views: 3,294
Last edited:

Katonah Medic

Reaction score
Website
www.katonahreiki.com
Mystery Solved

You were all on the right track.

My wife saw my post that I left up on the computer.
She laughed, and told me my daughter had a poopie accident in her pants, which my wife had in the laundry basket.. for two days. Thus the sewage smell.

Glad it wasn't anything serious.

Thanks all for your input.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Here are a couple of "after" pictures related to odor in a washing machine. The "before" (with no pictures taken) was a few weeks ago, and these normally-unseen areas were really cruddy and partially cleaned at that time. Since then, we have been leaving the lid open between washes, and these spots were much cleaner this morning when I pulled the basket to replace it to address a balance problem (and I finished cleaning everything completely). At the very least, then, leaving the lid or door open between washes seems to help inhibit a buildup of odoriferous crud inside a washing machine.

Attachments

• basketbottom.jpg
    basketbottom.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 3,287
  • drum.jpg
    drum.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 3,512
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks