Oil line valve open/closed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I just replaced the nozzle and filter on the furance at my mother's house. Now I'm not sure which way the valves on the line is open.

Is it the same as water valves? It's such a stupid thing but there are 2, on by the tank and another by the burner and each are a different style.

They have the little screw in the center but I can't tell if clockwise is opening or closing the valve? Anyone?

TIA

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't see the valves from here but I've never seen a valve that opened "backwards" except on the cold side of a faucet.

I would strongly suspect that they work the same as any water valve.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
I'm not crazy here but need a sanity check. They are weird in hoe they feel when turning, especially since the handle comes off if u twist enough in one direction. Water valves don't usually do that.

So for my sake is the center screw supposed to be protruding in the open position above the handle? See pic attached.

Attachments

• oil valve.gif
    oil valve.gif
    18.7 KB · Views: 3,351

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I'm not crazy here but need a sanity check. They are weird in hoe they feel when turning, especially since the handle comes off if u twist enough in one direction. Water valves don't usually do that.

So for my sake is the center screw supposed to be protruding in the open position above the handle? See pic attached.

If I remember correctly from BPE school 40 years ago, the protruding stem means the gate is open ... but if you can screw the wheel (handle) off the stem, then something is wrong and the wheel cannot push the gate closed.

MaintenanceGuy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've never seen a valve quite like that one.

I have seen lots of OS&Y (open stem and yoke valves) with the exposed stem. Stem out means open, stem in means closed. Handle screwing off valve means you've got a problem. Maybe there's a set screw at the handle base to re-attach the handle to the valve body. Maybe it's just broken and needs to be replaced.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Counterclockwise is open, stem out. Counterclockwise is closed, handle fall off.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
No, they have an inner sleeve that is soldered to an outer sleeve and if it get's hot enough the solder melts and closes the valve. They are code required at the tank and at the oil burner. They are there to shut off the flow of oil should a fire occur. There should be a similar such electrical device mounted above the boiler that shuts off the system in the event of fire also.

Rmelo99

Network Engineer
Reaction score
Ok, that's good to know.

I did all the troubleshooting that I could on this stupid burner.

Installed new filter, oil nozzle, cleaned the ignitors and ceramics. Tested the transformer, cleaned the CAD sensor.

I gave up!! Called in my furnace guy and he'll fix it!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks