Valve Seat Problem

Users who are viewing this thread

DennisB

Reaction score
Hi,

I am attempting to help my daughter stop a leaky tub faucet. She purchased a gerber kit that contains 3 valve stems with seats and all the other chrome hardware.

I started on the hot water side and had no problem getting the old corroded valve seat out using the appropriate valve seat tool. However I could not get the new seat installed. I could get it started with my finger but when I tried to tighten it with the wrench it does not "catch". Fearing that this could get ugly (this is a converted apartment turned condo and the only access is through the front) I put the old seat back in. It now leaks worse than when I started.

Any help is appreciated.

Dennis B.

e-plumber

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Here, Gerber is very popular. Are the parts that you purchased OEM?, this could be the problem if they aren't. If the threads that are in the faucet body got damaged when the new seat would not screw in easily, it may be beyond repair at this point. I would start over again with brand new seats and make sure the seat threads match the original ones that were in the faucet body.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Compare Seats

I agree with e that you should compare your seats. I think it's more likely you are not getting the new seat started correctly. Try a screwdriver that won't allow the seat to slip up on the tool and put sealant on the threads. You may not have gotten the old one back in tight enough or it has gotten debri behind it.

valve-seats-terrylove.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks