Flange Trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

bigorr

Reaction score
I went to pull toliet due to rocking issue. A new floor had been installed stone tiles. Found flange cracked (plastic) I thought I could just get the piece that slides under but because on the flange same height as tile could not do this. I am on a slab. I thought it was screwed down but i broke it worse instead. Now the only part left it the part of the flange that is down inside of the pipe. How do I get that out or is there a flang just smaller that i can gule in there. I need help really bad I am a police offficer and dont have money for a plumber.

help me please :eek:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the pipe 3" or 4", and what's the subfloor (slab or wood)? Do you have access from underneath if you cut out some ceiling? If the pipe is 4", you can install an inside mount flange, but not if it is 3". If you have access, you can just cut off enough pipe and glue on a new piece the right height to install a new flange. The flange is supposed to be mounted on TOP of the finished floor, but might be tricky if the tile isn't installed to give the edges support.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
If you can't replace it all from below, you may be able to stuff a rag down the drain pipe to keep the peices from falling in, hacksaw blade the broken flange into quarters (don't cut into the drain pipe too), and chip it out with a hammer and chisel. Clean the pipe up with sandpaper and install a new one.
Good Luck!
Mike

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

Install a new, proper, flange on the outside of the pipe, THEN, and only then, you should be able to remove the piece from inside the pipe without damaging the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks